Using own gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok guys. I'm new to the forum soon to be diving.

I signed my wife and myself up for class today. I'm a bit frustrated though. I called the shop to get everything going. Books class and so on. While we were talking on the phone he told me we had to come in to get fitted for gear. So I mentioned at this point that I had most of the required stuff mask, fins, snorkel boots, and so on.... He told me that there is a policy that you cannot use outside gear in the class.

Is this weird? To me it's a bit strange. It seems like a way to have a captive audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just hold on for a minutes, how about BC, wetsuit? Do you have them? If not, it is not uncommon for a shop to ask you to come in for fitting, the hold the item for you for your class. What you don't want is to show up at the pool session and your size BC and setsuit are all out

This seems all too simple to me-- maybe I missed something. If the shop is charging you any money for use of the BCD, wetsuit, weights, tanks, hoods, gloves, etc. just say no. Our shop (and I think a majority) provide this stuff no charge but does require you have your own mask/fins/snorkel (or rent those from them). There is, as mentioned, the shop's liability thing if you use your own stuff. I would THINK most shops have pretty decent equipment for student use. Actually, I enjoy using it myself for courses--saves wear & tear on my own old stuff. For a new student, using different equipment may be beneficial. It does make sense though that if your stuff is safe and works well you should probably be allowed to use it for the class. Maybe even if you signed something stating that you were doing that? Interesting that I can't recall any students (yet) I've seen in the OW courses that didn't use shop stuff.

I have not seen anyone at our shop pushing the shop equipment with a sales pitch. I guess shops could use this round about approach figuring new students don't know much and may be easy prey. A tight Scotsman like me would not be easy prey.

Ok just wondering. It would be so bad if I were trying to use something like a Kmart mask and fins. My stuff all came from a dive shop. All of its a national brand.

It's just odd.

---------- Post added March 20th, 2015 at 04:37 AM ----------

In response to other questions. The only thing I have is mask snorkel fins.

I want to buy other stuff but at this point. I think doing the cert and renting is all I will be doing for a bit. I know it's a expensive hobby but this was a bit of a surprise.

We actually have a friend who we were going to buy a used bc from. I planned on getting it, and taking it to the shop to be serviced, and then using it for the class. I guess that's out too.

He told me that there is a sales and marketing policy that you cannot use outside gear in the class. :D

Got any other local options?

It depends on the gear you are using. If you have snorkel mask and fins then they are not suitable for diving. The shop should give you the option of having your instructor evaluate the gear to see if it is suitable for diving. A dive mask in general should have a lower volume and better quality glass. Snorkel fins are also not appropriate for diving and you would need to have proper dive fins.

On the other hand, if you have proper mask and fins and the shop won't let you use proper dive gear then it's time to find a new shop. Any good LDS should work with a customer and accommodations to help minimize the gear costs.

That was way too rational and thought out. Kudos!

Not sure how dive shop operate now. When I took OW, the cost include all gears rental except those personal items. This was informed to me before I signed. I needed to go in for fitting for wetsuit & BC. Given this condition, both the instructor preferred shop's gear because the instructor was more familiar with them, and I didn't know what I didn't know

Maybe we should get to know more information before bashing the shop.

The original idea was not to bash the shop. I wanted to know if this was normal.

No it's not normal. In fact I'd consider it insulting and shady to do to a student. You are going to be using the gear after classes I would guess. To not allow you to train in it is, in my opinion, unethical and poor business practices. What if the stuff they have doesn't fit you? You'll have a miserable experience.
When stating the truth and calling out BS practices, it's not bashing.
This type of behavior by a shop is one of the things that gives the entire industry a bad name.

Our shop has a policy that if a student wants to use their own equipment (BC's & Regulators) that is must be at least inspected, if not serviced before it can be allowed in class, or at least proven that it has been serviced within the last 2 yrs (receipt or service record from the dive shop in which it was serviced). Mask, fins, snorkels are fine, as long as they fit & are functional. We've had people try to bring in & use equipment that have not been serviced in decades (yes, decades) & in dangerous condition, usually with the story that, "my uncle _____ used to dive a long time ago & quit. He heard I was starting to dive, so gave this to me". Yes, it does upset some people that we have this policy, but in the condition that they bring this equipment in & expect to use,..... :shocked2: We try to be reasonable about it, but safety must come first.

No, not normal. We look at your outside stuff just to make sure it will work for your needs, IE, peek at it.....but that is about it.....

I don't think their policy is in your best interests.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom