USS Mohawk diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was taught to ALWAYS take a breath at the surface & keep my eyes on the pressure gauge. If the needle does a big sway, air is off.

I was taught to ALWAYS take a breath at the surface & keep my eyes on the pressure gauge. If the needle does a big sway, air is off.

I was taught and now teach 3 breaths of each reg while watching the needle, and I make a point of explaining several times (reinforcing memory) what we are hoping to discover and why watching the needle can tell us what we want to know.
...I also repeat the drill if someone unexpectedly reaches over and checks my valves for me w/o permission.

Last edited:
I don't remember being taught to take a breath and watch the SPG - could be my memory, could have been the class. We really only retain a small percentage of what we are taught if we don't continue to practice it on a regular basis, or if it's not reinforced in some other way.

At any rate, I didn't do the breathing/SPG check for several years after being certified, and it worked out ok, until a DM turned my gas off when "checking if it was on." Luckily I had the presence of mind to reach back and turn my gas on underwater, as the dive in question happened to be a hot drop (going in negative).

You can bet after that I started the breathing/checking SPG test every dive after that.

I don't remember being taught to take a breath and watch the SPG - could be my memory, could have been the class.

There is no official way to check your air supply. I teach students to look at the SPG while taking breaths as well, but it is not what I was originally taught. I was originally taught to have your buddy turn your valve to make sure it is on. I don't teach it because, like your example of the DM, I think it is too likely your buddy will turn your air off.

I was thought to take a couple breaths and watch the needle as well, i thought that was a standard training thing. When not doing a negative entry as well (no current) I don't rocket to the bottom... my first 1-2 feet is slow, that way i have at least two breaths to ensure everything is still good to go

I've always reinforced with a flow check before descent. Unfortunately I wasn't pressed into doing this until I started tech diving. If I had considered it, I would have done it my entire diving career.

I don't remember being taught anything specifically like that. I also don't like people touching my gear. I check my gauge numerous times before the dive, and at the beginning of the dive once under water. I also check, recheck, and check 1 more time before the dive, that I can breath normally through all of my regulators.

I have failed to check tank pressure before getting in the water. But I have NEVER, not once, failed to take 3 breaths from my primary reg and a couple from my backup, before jumping in. My Fundies instructor asked us if we knew how many breaths it took to empty our hoses. For me, it's four breaths on the primary, so I figure if my check totals at least four breaths, I'll find out if my gas is off. 99% of the time, I look at my SPG while I do it, to look for a barely opened valve.

When I started, I just insured the valve was on and the J-valve was in the dive position, SPG not being used at the time. It worked fine for years.

Later, during my OW class, we were taught to insure the valve and check by breathing 3 times deeply and quickly. This check did not mean the valve was completely open, only that it was at least 1/4 turn open. Somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 turn open the SPG may not register movement even if you bring the flow rate up by breathing fast and hard on the surface.

And as I said before, if you leave your tank after setup and initial check, turn the valve off and insure the SPG is at zero. When you return there is no confusion.

For my boat tank I have a Vindicator valve handle, green open or red shut, even a DM will leave your valve alone.

Bob

I have failed to check tank pressure before getting in the water. But I have NEVER, not once, failed to take 3 breaths from my primary reg and a couple from my backup, before jumping in. My Fundies instructor asked us if we knew how many breaths it took to empty our hoses. For me, it's four breaths on the primary, so I figure if my check totals at least four breaths, I'll find out if my gas is off. 99% of the time, I look at my SPG while I do it, to look for a barely opened valve.

As a part of my final check, I take a couple of breaths out of my primary regulator and a couple of breaths out of my secondary regulator, doing both in the water if possible. Then I check my inflator hose. Then I check my dry suit inflation hose, if I am wearing one. By then, a shut off valve should be obvious. This has an additional benefit. For those who use a long hose/bungeed alternate system, using this method ensures that you have not forgotten to put the alternate's bungee around your neck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom