USS Mohawk diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhere around 1/4 to 1/3 turn open the SPG may not register movement even if you bring the flow rate up by breathing fast and hard on the surface.
That's why I like my valve all the way. Once in the Flower Gardens my home bud & I did our mutual checks while lining up, and mine was off. I asked him: "You turn screw drivers every day! How can you get that mixed up?" It happens.

I got tired of arguing on my Cozumel trips, so I just try to make sure my pony is ready if needed. I have had to switch to it at 15 ft.

I was taught to check both second stages against the SPG as soon as opening the tank valve on the surface and as soon as getting into the water. I amit that after the first 50 dives I only checked my own second stage that way and not the octopus. But I always do another check between 3 & 5m during descent.

Some guides insist on double checking the guests tank valve before entry. This is fine, but when that is done I feel more comfortable in reaching behind and triple checking my valve just for my own peace of mind. Probably paranoid but I always feel more comfortable if I have done all the final checks myself.

I've seen 3 perhaps 4 people on boats, just take 2 or 3 quick shallow breaths, while looking at their SPG but not seeing. In all cases I've chatted to them nicely and explained what they should be doing and why. In each case they'd all been taught to take the breaths (as I was) but didn't' really understand. I know I didn't when I was taught until someone took me aside.

I think one reason for new divers is that they think they are wasting precious air, and those breaths will drain their tank so they go through the motions but don't do the check properly

I've caught myself a couple of times having not turned my tank on just by this check. in my case the Spg starts falling after one or two, but like others here take 3 or 4 from each reg.

Certainly one check to look out for and watch how others do it. As someone took me aside (and have thus saved me an issue in the future) I like to pay it forward, but in a gentle polite way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom