Utila advice: dive shops, places to stay, etc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brookeMI

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going to be on Utila for the first 2 weeks of August, and am wondering whether my friend and I should book ahead for lodging and/or diving. I know it's high season and sun jam is that first weekend. I'll be taking an open water course (never been diving before), and my friend will likely take some sort of adv. cert class... So:

1) should we book lodging ahead of time? we're trying to do this inexpensively, but I do want A/C and a relative lack of bugs in the room and beds somewhere quiet enough to sleep without earplugs... any recommendations for places, or will we be able to find something acceptable (and in the $25-35 per night- for a double- range) when we get there?

2) should we book ahead for diving? if so, what are the recommended shops, and does anyone know the going rates? mango inn has rates posted online, but i'm guessing they might be more expensive than the norm...

Advice welcome!
Thanks!

I'd go w/ Deep Blue...........spent 2 weeks there in April and I'm looking at going back again for 2 weeks in October.........

3 dives per day
3 meals per day

all inclusive..................and you can hop over to town for shopping

but that's just my personal preference..........exp if you want to concentrate on diving and quiet place to sleep........

anyone interested in Deep blue ? sept 30 and oct 7?

I don't know that Deep Blue fits into your price range. It's $850 a week for divers and $750 a week for nondivers. However, August is actually considered low season for Utila and you can definitely find a room for your price range on the island. The first night we stayed on Utila (in March, which is high season), we wandered around looking for a place to stay for about an hour and ended up at a clean $13 a night place with a fan and private bath. The next night, we switched to a dorm like double room with bathrooms down the hall for $8 a night for a double but without ac. While we were there, several people recommended the Mango Inn, which is $35 a night for an air conditioned room. Check out http://www.aboututila.com/AccomInfo/Index.htm for pricing info on the specific hotels.

Also, forgot to mention: http://www.aboututila.com/ScubaInfo/Index-Scuba-Diving.htm for info on Scuba operators, their websites, and prices. (There's also a link from the main aboututila.com page listing standard prices around the island. We went with Alton's Dive shop for our OW certification and some fun dives which is more for the young European hippy crowd (and we'll probably go to Deep Blue or one of the other reputable shops on our return visit instead since the dive boats at Alton's were really not up to par, since there were some hidden fees tacked on at the end of our stay, since the dive masters were hit or miss in terms of their training/experience, etcetera). Still, diving was cheap and genuinely fantastic.

brookeMI:
I'm going to be on Utila for the first 2 weeks of August, and am wondering whether my friend and I should book ahead for lodging and/or diving. I know it's high season and sun jam is that first weekend. I'll be taking an open water course (never been diving before), and my friend will likely take some sort of adv. cert class... So:

1) should we book lodging ahead of time? we're trying to do this inexpensively, but I do want A/C and a relative lack of bugs in the room and beds somewhere quiet enough to sleep without earplugs... any recommendations for places, or will we be able to find something acceptable (and in the $25-35 per night- for a double- range) when we get there?

2) should we book ahead for diving? if so, what are the recommended shops, and does anyone know the going rates? mango inn has rates posted online, but i'm guessing they might be more expensive than the norm...

Advice welcome!
Thanks!

Contact Steve at waves2222@aol.com. He'll give you a hand. If Deep Blue Resort is out of your budget range, he and his mother, Shirley, also own Deep Blue Divers...right in town and directly across from the Hotel Rose (owned by Eric) A few months ago LaCuda and I stayed at the Rose for an extended period of time and dove with Deep Blue. They also have gear for students and fun divers.We stayed in an AC room, upstairs & in the rear right. Quiet. About $25.00. At any rate email Steve and ask him wat your options are. You'll find him most cooperative, whether you dive with them or not. Also if you don't like the Rose, just walk around town and find something else. and www.aboututila.com is a good benchmark for price shopping. Another option is Hans at Ecomarine/Gunters. If you have an extra day or so just walk aroundand ceck out the various dive ops then decide. Utila....great place go now it may not last!!

Regards,

I'm gonna keep my summary very brief:

Stayed at Colibri Hill resort: www.colibri-resort.com - Excellent!

Dived with DeepBlue: www.deepblueutila.com - Superb, wouldn't dive with any other operation on the island....and they have the best whale shark captain on the Island -respect to Gringo!!

Social life? Dived four times a day, ate then slept - that's what I was there for ;o)

If you wanna see what the diving is like, check out my vid on www.myspace.com/shurford

PS - bring some kick-*** sand fly repellant - but really!!

Thanks so much! I e-mailed Steve, and between him, your response and the others, I've gotten all my questions answered!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom