Uwatec Smart Owners!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonscubas

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a great computer, only thing that's missing is on the fly gas mix changing, a damn longer hose so you can read the compass better, the time, and a better system for turning on the display light when night diving, the "sweet spot" to activate the display light seems to move on me every now and then.

Any of you UWATEC owners have any comments about yours, anybody figure out a way to get the display light to turn on without having to try 3-4 times?

I have to agree about the light.I used mine on a night dive and what a pain in the butt the backlight was to activate.It was much easier to shine my light on it.

I also wish they made the hose slightly longer to make compass reading easier.I currently use a knighthawk and may be switching to a halcyon bp/wings which will bring the tank closer to my back and hopefully making the hose stretch out more to make compass reading easier.

I also agree about the gas changing on the fly.I would love to see that feature on the smartcom.But overall it has been a great computer so far.

I knew when I got it I couldn't change gas and since I don't plan on doing that it works out OK. Haven't been on a night dive so I can't really comment on the light issue, but I don't have a problem with the hose length. I bring it over the shoulder and it is fine, tho I do need to find the "sweet" spot in my bi-focals...

I'd love to comment on my smart com, but we returned it to the shop after 1 dive (end of july) who sent it to scubapro, and we are still waiting on it. Perhaps the mail order was the right way to go, at least they would replace it within a week (as opposed to six and counting). The originally quoted me 2-3 weeks, I called at the end of 3 weeks and they said another 3 weeks. Since the summer is pretty much over i havent bothered to call again. Would be nice though to have saved $300 ordering online, not having a warranty, but having a computer.

- ayman

After my first one died on it's second dive the unit was replaced by ScubaPro with a new one. It has been perfect ever since. The more I dive it the more I like it. Very easy to read. I use a Knighthawk and don't have a problem with the hose length. I have the hose over my left shoulder clipped to a retractable clip on my top right D Ring. This holds the SmartCom face up at mid chest level. Very easy to read, don't even have to touch it. Found the light very easy to use...just a sweep of the finger over the sweet spot. Don't press one spot, sweep across it. The infrared is very nice as well.

I waited 2 months for Scuba Pro to release my Smart Pro for original delivery. Yet I could have easily bought one on ebay for 400 bux on BUY IT NOW. brand new.

Well...I like the computer...but I had a slew of problems. The first one I had ended up permanently locking out on me. Drove 80 miles to my favorite dive site...hooked up the tank...showed me my pressure which was good and proceeded to get geared up. Entered the water...took a quick look at the computer before descending and saw E-8 on the screen....nothing else. Pushed all the buttons...nothing. Went back to shore...fiddled some more...attempted to connect to it with the infared port on the laptop...nothing. Basically screwed me out of days diving. I had loaned a friend my Uwatec Aladin Air Console that day...and decided to let him enjoy the diving. So I took it back to the local shop...and they called it in...had to send it back to the company. They sent a replacement.

In the meantime, the owner of the dive shop gave me his SmartCOM to use until my new one came it. He had not yet used his yet. It was on the 2nd or 3rd dive that I realized that the remaining bottom timer (air based) was not working. The decompression timer worked, but the air gauge that tells you how much air you have left based on your current breathing rate and depth would always display :99. That's obviously not right when down at 120+ ft with 1250 psi of air left. So another one back to Sweden...

The third one though has been a charm. It works great. However a friend of mine...bought another SmartCOM and his is having the bottom timer gauge problem as well. Not sure if the local shop just got a bad batch or what. My problems been fixed...but I don't trust the computer. I always dive both the SmartCOM and my old trusty Aladin AIR Console.

I'm actually considering buying the UWATEC bottom timer as a 3rd backup. Just don't know about this UWATEC/ScubaPro stuff...especially with my $600 piece of junk MK20/S600 regulator that free flowed all the time at 70 ft(has since been rebuilt with no problems)...but don't get me started on that.

In all...I've had excellent customer support for the products. They were always upgraded and replaced...although sometimes you have to wait a little while to get your stuff back....but wasn't really a problem for me since I have doubles of most my gear...and when I don't the local dive shop is willing to loan me items free of charge until things are made right.

In terms of the light...I dove so long with the Uwatec Aladin Air, I honestly forget that it has the backlight option and usually end up just shining my light on the computer...*SHRUG*

All in all...good computer if you can get one that works right. I have since logged 30+ dives on the 3rd SmartCOM computer with no problems...

I have heard of lots of problems (similar to the ones you describe) with the SmartCom when diving with PSI and Feet settings, but none when diving with BAR and Metres.

I wonder if the internal algorithm gets confused when you use PSI etc - I expect that Sweden uses metric units and these are therefore used as the internal constants in the units programming.

Has anyone had problems (especially RBT) when using the SmartCom with Bar settings?

Grant

GrantInOz once bubbled...

I wonder if the internal algorithm gets confused when you use PSI etc - I expect that Sweden uses metric units and these are therefore used as the internal constants in the units programming.

To the computer it is all just ones and zeros. The problems they are having are mechanical, whether installation ot a process or a failed bunch of chips.

GrantInOz once bubbled...
I have heard of lots of problems (similar to the ones you describe) with the SmartCom when diving with PSI and Feet settings, but none when diving with BAR and Metres.

Has anyone had problems (especially RBT) when using the SmartCom with Bar settings?

Grant

Yes I do use SmartCom in metrics, the second dive I did with this computer it blocked itself... the same things there was on the display stayed 4 two weeks ( all my holiday) now the computer is back to Scubapro and I m waiting for a replacement unit...

Back
Top Bottom