Vandenberg Reefing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know. But a lot of us also go outside of the Keys or to other areas where the environmental impact has not been felt by so many people in such a small space. Since I got down here in 98, the impact on the reefs has been HUGE! We need something new, and this wreck is going to make a really big impact and take a huge burden off the reef finally

I would say that what ever policies the State or Feds did down there off of Largo were awsome.

I had been down for the mini lobster season a few times as a teenager in the 80's. I had been snorkeling in Hawaii and the Virgin Islands by that time and the reefs was crap in the area.

As a result I never wanted to really go diving down there, despite the fact my parents live in Miami.

Last October one of my dive buddies convinces me to join him and his wife on a marathon weekend down there (pulled a boat from Baltimore, MD and got 24 dives in 3 days). I was blown away in a very positive way. We dove the Eagle, Duane, Bibb, & Spiegel Grove as well as half a dozen reefs. I remember Molasses reef was really good. I was almost like the Exumas, but a bit more silted up.

I don't know what laws they had enacted since the 80's, but they are doing something right!

My brother just moved back to Key West and I'm trying to figure out how to get down there to visit him, so I can visit him and dive the Vandenberg.

Hello all. I am in Key Largo right now. I dove the reefs this morning. I will be heading to Key West to dive the vandenberg in the morning if all goes as planned. I will post a update later. Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom