Venice Beach Dive Party!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

however, in the new millenium, we have changed that to "Mask Hunt". The ducks lost four masks and a lot of pride. They did find some much needed humility and a new respect for the surf. Only injury was one "Crab toe" and a scape from someone's tank. All in all, they had a great time... really. You could tell by all of the giggles and cackles. BTW, they want to know if they can start calling her "Aunt Wendy"! :tease:

I found a mere 4 teeth with a ton of skate plates. Walter had the haul (of course). Saw several Mantis shrimp, grunion and crab. There are a ton of cat's paw shells, conchs, turkey wings, scallops, and sand dollars too.

Oh yeah, we did get to watch the new Suvivor game: "Catch the Kayak!"

In spite of the inclement weather... the turnout was fantastic!!! Yay Wendy, when's the next one?

Well if it were a race to see who could post first, we all know it would've been me :eek:ut:

Anywho, I had a great time. That was my first shore dive ever. I got out in the water on my first try. I came...I saw...I conqured!

It was also my first low visability dive. I think I did pretty well.

Was down for about, oh, an hour and ten minutes I guess and I still had about 1750 psi in my tank.
I was kind of bumed about that. I could of gotten in A LOT of time in the water (had two tanks) but we only did that one dive.

And, my mom said that she doesn't want to come back tomorrow. *grumble grumble* I hope we all do this again, I had a blast.

Wendy..thanks for the pen :D It's cute as heck. And thank you for planning this whole thing. It was great to finally meet some of the people behind the posts. We have a great bunch of people on the board :)

Walter...thank you for all the help you gave me!

Cindy and I made an aborted attempt to beat through the waves...did not work out.

I was glad we were finally able to put some real life faces on these forum names. It makes the internet a whole lot less anonymous...and I personally think it keeps the arguments less heated if you actually know who you are debating on some of our touchier subjects on this board!

Glad to see that the kayak made it out...although at one time I mentioned that to Cindy and she looked out and asked where he was. The trough of the waves had actually hid him, but soon the yellow banana hove back into view.

We had rain all the way home...gear got a good pre rinse before we dump it in the tub for its soak.

Looked at the radar when we got back, and I know no one would have stayed much later than that because the whole coast was one big yellow and red area on the radar screen.

Glad we were able to get together...I second the motion about making some local trips other than Venice...(but lets save the Peace River til winter)

Well, now I know what low vis really is! Three of us ladies were on the beach watching others getting beat up and losing equipment before we finally decided to take the plunge. At one time the waves were playing "bowling for ducks!" The three of us, Amber, me and Barbara with the assistance of Walter sharing a couple key tips on surf entry, made it past the surf line without falling down, or losing equipment. We made it out pretty far when Walter arrived (he had been helping ducks find their equipment) and buddied with Barbara. Amber-It would be my pleasure to dive with you anytime! I found only one tooth, some nice shells and a few dead sand dollars, the live ones were everywhere! We surfaced with lots of air left, amid a deluge of rain. It had gotten so dark under the water you could barely see! Our plan was to hang on the top until the rain stopped then try again, but the plans changed. (I did manage to lose my pink goodie bag on the surface:( . ) We missed the beds where the teeth were- next time I know where to go!

The get together between the rain storms was short, yet I was able to get some of the faces to the names. I know I missed meeting a lot of you tho. Look forward to the next dive party.

My non diving friend and the kids had a good time playing in the sand and hiding under towels during the rain storms. After leaving Alhambra, we drove south, past Sharkeys and found a place that the rain was still 15 minutes away and looked for teeth on the beach. The kids found teeth, so it was a sucessful weekend!
It rained, well, more like poured till almost ft. myers, then followed us over alligator alley. We got the rain here about 9pm.

Even though the Dives were not great I think everyone had a good time anyway. The lost Weight Belt was recovered by Medical1 & Debbraey, Thanks again and I will return it to it's owner.

Everyone that stayed over were going to try again Sunday but the weather was even worse. I met up with 8buck and Wendy and we all went back for some tooth hunting from shore and got soaked by a shower that popped up.

We looked for equiptment as well but found nothing.

I think there is enough interest that we should do this again definetly. Either back at Venice or maybe some where on the East Coast. I would like to do a Spring dive.

Wildbill:D

Well I finally made it home. Thanks for everyone that made it out. Sorry I was late getting there, I am hardly ever late to places. But I made it about 10am, but undoubtly missed all the 'good' stuff, but I heard pleanty of lost gear, shre entry, and rescue stories at dinner and this morning. I didn't end up diving, but still found a few teeth on the beach this morning. About 10 of us met for dinner last night and some drinks, but I was too tired to go drink a gallon of Margaritas with MikeJacobs and Marvel.

This morning I sweared I would never organize another trip (the weather must have been depressing me), but I do think that this should be a more than one time thing. 8Buck suggested we maybe do Blue Grotto and some of the other springs sometime. Also Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm is a trip I want to do. And maybe in October we can do a Crystal River trip and see the manatees. Also it is now lobster season, so we can go invade Scuba Jenn and do some diving on the other coast in south florida.

A spring dive is on my to do list.

Just say when and where and I'll be there.
I had a great time meeting everyone and putting names to faces.

Wendy once bubbled...
Also it is now lobster season, so we can go invade Scuba Jenn and do some diving on the other coast in south florida.
Cool! A scubaboard invasion! When? I have already been thinking about it! Commerical is probably the best, but the parking isn't great, there is Hollywood with lots of parking, Dania with good parking....
Off the beach is hit and miss for the lobsters...but for a nice reef dive (dania has the jacks also) any of the above mentioned places is good.
There are enough of us over here that some input from them would be welcome..

Sorry to hear it was worse today for the shark teeth diving...maybe next time...I'm ready to go back, anybody want to kid sit? LOL:)

A East Coast dive is great. Or if we do a spring dive lets find one that in centrally located.

I have heard there is Springs in the Crystal River. Anyone with info. on that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom