Veo 100 - How do you open battery hatch?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Oceanic computers are a PITA to change batteries correctly and not have flood. Best bet, if it's convenient, is to always take it to a reliable dealer, who does many and get them to do the swap. Also, the Oceanic gobble up batteries. If I'm taking a trip, have more than 12+ dives on the computer, and we have two,, I always get fresh batteries. Even if your screen shows a full charge of three bars, get fresh batteries. The power will drop very quickly. I like the simplicity of the Oceanic, but they have their flukes.

Mine came with a tool to turn that ring, but it's still is a pain and out on the boat it takes some real determination when you've found that you didnt bring it with you in the save-a-dive kit

Duracells are not rated for "pulse duty"

SONY and Panisonic are the battery brands recommended by the Oceanic per the rep here on ScubaBoard
... look for a battery that has a "pulse duty" rating that can handle the momentary high current requirements needed by the computer

I have a small fleet of Pelagic computers for the family (Veo 180 (2), 100nx, XR1) and have changed the batteries many times without floods.

1) The first time took a few extra minutes, mostly due to learning how to do it. The manual is not all that wonderful. I ended up using a blade to gently pry off the cover, you just need to be very careful how far you insert to prevent damage.

2) For these basic models, even plain old Duracells seem to work for over a year. The newer fancy models seem to be harder on the batteries.

3) The computer has a battery meter accessed automatically for a few seconds on start up. If you check it, you should have plenty of warning when the battery is worn and you can avoid doing gear maintenance on the boat. The meter is not linear though, it registers full for a long time and then drops quickly, anything less than full indicates time to change before the next trip.

I also ended up using a very small screw to lift the plastic cover. NOTE that there is an O-ring below that cover so be very careful not to damage it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom