Video From Our Hydro Atlantic Dive 022408

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your primary buddy...is he using a DiveRite 10w HID with the fixed-focus head? Just curious. Awesome dive! I'll be CCR one of these days....<sigh>....

Danny

Howard's original plan was a 120 RT. I'm not sure why they cut it short. One diver in their Optima team was diving wet, so I'm guessing that was the reason.

Eric, as you know, I was the one diving the Optima and using the 3mm wetsuit on that dive. We actually followed our dive plan and began our ascent at the 40 minute mark exactly. I ended up with a total run time of about 130+ muinutes, but that is only because Howard was using 10/50 and running a more conservative setpoint than the, 20/37 and 1.3 that I was running. Also, with the sudden change in depth/plan on the line during deco, that also added a bit of time to our profile. I would say my deco obligation was completed approximately 10-12 minutes before Howards.

I was a bit chilly while I was waiting for Howard to finish up towards the end of the dive, but it was not unbearable, because of the 5mm vest I decided to put on before the dive, so my core torso was doing alright. However, we were the first ones in the water and the last to be picked up.

Adrian

What am I missing??
Doing this dive on OC with a 40 minute BT and a single deco gas (50%) and I'll be out of the water in with a RT under 90 minutes.

That means - the HH GF's must be more conservative than my VR3?!?!?!?! :confused:

What am I missing??
Doing this dive on OC with a 40 minute BT and a single deco gas (50%) and I'll be out of the water in with a RT under 90 minutes.

Same here.
It's because you don't rely on what a computer tells you. :D

That means - the HH GF's must be more conservative than my VR3?!?!?!?! :confused:

I have both the HH and a VR3 incorporated into my Optima. I had the HH set at a 25/85 gradient factor and the VR3 set with a "0" conservatism with the VPM Model activated. With all that said, the HH actually ended up having me out of the water faster than the VR3, even though when leaving the bottom, the VR3 showed less time-to-surface than the HH (HH gave me more credit on the ascent).

Some of the factors you need to consider are:

- We were not in a hurry to leave the water (PLENTY OF GAS W/ REBREATHER!).
- Our setpoints are not set as aggressive as they can be.
- We ascend MUCH slower than we could (remember, not in a hurry).
- Our stops are not always as shallow as the computer wants them to be, because
other divers are in the way, so we just stay deeper (makes run time longer).
- We had an ascent line mishap, so we all ended up drifting considerably deeper at
one point, until we ultimately released the line, shot bags and re-established our
ascending progress.

- Finally, remember, because of the conservative nature of the profiles/setpoint we
often run on our rebreathers, you are correct, we don't always get out of the water
quicker, but we can often accomplish the same dive with much weight in equipment,
less stress and a lot more versatility, because we have enough gas to change
our plan, within reason of course.

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying the thread (and the video). I'll be doing the Hydro in April (OC, though). What was the temp shallow (say, above 70')? I'll be beinging my drysuit. Do many people do the Hydro dry?

Thanks guys, I'm enjoying the thread (and the video). I'll be doing the Hydro in April (OC, though). What was the temp shallow (say, above 70')? I'll be beinging my drysuit. Do many people do the Hydro dry?

On the surface, the water temp was 73F, below 58 feet and all throughout the deck of the wreck the water temp was 68, and within the areas of the wreck we penetrated the water temp was a bit below 63F.

Of the four other rebreather divers I was diving with, they were all diving dry. I've been diving in South Florida for over 20 years, and in the ninetied did a lot of tech diving in this area as well, I do not recall ever seeing anyone dive dry. However, in the last year, I have seen more drysuit divers in this area than ever. So bring your drysuit, because it's pretty common place nowadays!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom