Video From Our Hydro Atlantic Dive 022408

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and how much scrubber material?

The EAC's (Extended Air Cartridges) my Optima uses as scrubber material run about $30 each and I use each of them for about 4 hours, so that ends up being about
$7.50/hr of diving. More expensive than the granular sorb, but the convenience and consistent performance is well worth it to me.

RB consumeables will always be a lot cheaper than OC consumeables. The initial cost of the equipment is what most people choke over; however, keep this in mind:

I sold a lot of my OC gear and generated several thousand dollars to put toward the RB. The RB will always be worth something when you decide to sell it. Say no less than 50% based on the prices I've seen on RBW. So if you buy a new Optima and MOD1 training for $7500 and $1500 for a total of $9000, and you apply the say $2000 you got for your sets of doubles and other OC items, then you have a net of $7000. Figuring a max depretiation of 50% or $3750 on the RB, then you only need to amortize the $3750 over the dives you do.

If you are spending $75 per dive more for OC consumeables vs CC consumeables, then the RB is paid for in 50 dives. After 50, you are in the clear and saving $75 per dive. You can always sell a used Optima for at least $4000, so my numbers are conservative in that regard. Heck, buy a used Optima for $5000 and amortize $2500 over your dives.

If your hobby is riding motorcycles, a Harley runs $15K and up. A sport bike, maybe $9000 and up. No difference really.

Adrian, Did you guys do the Lowrance today? I didn't get home from Boston until this afternoon.

Adrian, Did you guys do the Lowrance today? I didn't get home from Boston until this afternoon.

Eric, I'm not the kind of guy who rubs salt in my friend's wounds, so I could lie to you and tell you that the 2 to 4 foot seas the weather service called for was very rough and made the ride unpleasant, and that the current was ripping strong enough to make the dive tiring and hard work, and that the thermoclines were so cold that I couldn't enjoy the dive, but it just wasn't the case - Sorry!

Calm seas - check!

Zero current - check!

No thermoclines - check!

I actually had a real nice dive. There was about nine divers onboard and I had a nice long dive - I was able to get a solid 40 minutes on the bottom. The last time I dove the wreck was over 10 years ago, and as you would imagine, there has been a significant growth since then. The Lowrance is a great wreck and getting better every day. It's really developed lot's of those bright red (gorgonian?) that the Hydro has so many of.

Sorry you missed it, but I have no doubt that we will dive it soon again. Dixie Divers has the Lowrance scheduled at the beginning of April during their Tech Week. I think it's scheduled as a Friday dive. Pavan told me that the next monthly tech dive is going to be to the Sucre. I dove that wreck the week after they sank it, so it had zero growth at the time, so I wouldn't mind taking a look at it and seeing how it has devoloped.

I know you are off fro the next couple of weeks. I'm trying not to take any weekdays off, so I prefer the weekends for diving, but I will take any day off it there is something very special planned!

Hope you had a good trip!

Dang! I missed a great one! Glad to hear it was a good dive.

Seas looks good for Wednesday and Thursday. How about a night dive on RJ's?

Seas looks good for Wednesday and Thursday. How about a night dive on RJ's?

I'll see you there if you go. It's the Orion (110') and the DEMA Trader (75') double wreck feature presentation. We'll hit Clarke's for craic afterward :D

I'm on the list. See you there! :)

Our forecast looks absolutely stellar:

WEDNESDAY
SOUTHWEST WINDS 10 TO 15 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS NEAR SHORE AND UP TO 2 TO 4 FEET WELL OFFSHORE. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

WEDNESDAY NIGHT
SOUTHWEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.

It seems we are the chosen ones: :wink:

TODAY
SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. NEAR SHORE...SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. WELL OFFSHORE...SEAS 2 TO 4 FEET SUBSIDING TO 2 FEET OR LESS IN THE AFTERNOON. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. SLIGHT CHANCE OF
SHOWERS THROUGH THE DAY. SLIGHT CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE
AFTERNOON.

TONIGHT
SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS 2 FEET OR LESS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. CHANCE OF THUNDERSTORMS IN THE EVENING. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS THROUGH THE NIGHT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom