Vinegar No Longer Included In My Dive Bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just had a phone chat with DAN medical department, answering a few questions for me...
> The Box Jellies of the Caribbean and Hawaii are not at all the same as the deadly Box Jellies of the Indo-Pacific. I see now with some google searching that the Caribbean species is Tripedalia cystophora and the Hawaiian species is Carybdea alata.
> Using vinegar is not bad for most jellyfish stings; it's just hot water is better.
> They did not recognize my use of calamine as a suggested treatment, but it may help with the pain. Hydrocortisone seems to be the choice.

RE: A General Orientation to What DAN is Recommending

Vinegar has a very long history of substantial benefit in the treatment of marine envenomations of various sorts (e.g., fire corals, white stinging hydroids) that can occur when scraping encrusted pipes and boat bottoms, grabbing encrusted ropes or just inadvertently coming into contact with reefs, corals and sponges.

DAN is not advocating ceasing the immediate application of copious quantities of vinegar when such accidents occur.

What DAN is responding to is the increasing concern that certain marine envenomations, such as those by specific members of the jellyfish family, can be made worse by applying vinegar and other products like alcohol, Windex, urine and meat tenderizer, as these may cause unfired nematocytes to discharge. The osmotic differential created by flushing with fresh rather than salt water also may cause this event to occur.

In short, after having a run-in with a jellyfish follow DAN's guidelines. But, if you are sure the offending creature was a fire coral, feathery hydroid or kindred hydrozoan, vinegar is your friend.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Good stuff. thanks.

I just had a phone chat with DAN medical department, answering a few questions for me...
> The Box Jellies of the Caribbean and Hawaii are not at all the same as the deadly Box Jellies of the Indo-Pacific. I see now with some google searching that the Caribbean species is Tripedalia cystophora and the Hawaiian species is Carybdea alata.
> Using vinegar is not bad for most jellyfish stings; it's just hot water is better.
> They did not recognize my use of calamine as a suggested treatment, but it may help with the pain. Hydrocortisone seems to be the choice.

Many MANY years ago I was swimming in the Chesapeake Bay & came up face first into a Jellyfish- it completely broke apart all over my face. I still remember that calamine did absolutely nothing to relieve the pain. :shakehead:

REad Doc's post #12 as it depends on what you are using it for.
Yes, indeed...
RE: A General Orientation to What DAN is Recommending

Vinegar has a very long history of substantial benefit in the treatment of marine envenomations of various sorts (e.g., fire corals, white stinging hydroids) that can occur when scraping encrusted pipes and boat bottoms, grabbing encrusted ropes or just inadvertently coming into contact with reefs, corals and sponges.

DAN is not advocating ceasing the immediate application of copious quantities of vinegar when such accidents occur.

What DAN is responding to is the increasing concern that certain marine envenomations, such as those by specific members of the jellyfish family, can be made worse by applying vinegar and other products like alcohol, Windex, urine and meat tenderizer, as these may cause unfired nematocytes to discharge. The osmotic differential created by flushing with fresh rather than salt water also may cause this event to occur.

In short, after having a run-in with a jellyfish follow DAN's guidelines. But, if you are sure the offending creature was a fire coral, feathery hydroid or kindred hydrozoan, vinegar is your friend.

Helpful?

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.
If I understand correctly....?
> Vinegar for the indo-pacific box jelly is good - as well as fire coral, feathery hydroid or kindred hydrozoan;
> Vinegar is not the treatment of choice for other jellies, can even be bad on man-of-war and some others;
> Hot water is preferred for general venomous and toxic stings for all but the indo-pacific box jelly.
I hope I got that right.

I wonder if the Emergency Rooms and Clinics, stateside and abroad, are staying up to date on this. I know how some physicians get when you question their treatment calls.
Many MANY years ago I was swimming in the Chesapeake Bay & came up face first into a Jellyfish- it completely broke apart all over my face. I still remember that calamine did absolutely nothing to relieve the pain. :shakehead:
It felt good on my forehead when I got hit, but DAN didn't think much of it when we spoke of it. :silly:

the jellies we usually get hit with out of Panama City, vinegar brings instant relief. We do sometimes get portugese man o wars, but I've never been stung by one or know anyone who used vinegar on one.

Yeah, I'm thinking that's something I'm not going to waste the space for in my kit. Benadryl, hydrocortisone, and a several other things have long been a staple but calamine :no Now if we suddenly get a poison ivy bloom out in the gulf.... :D

vinegar and other products like alcohol, Windex, urine and meat tenderizer, as these may cause unfired nematocytes to discharge. The osmotic differential created by flushing with fresh rather than salt water also may cause this event to occur.

Regards,

DocVikingo

Given that fresh water can cause "unfired" nematocysts to trigger, (due to swelling caused by osmosis?) I wonder if super saline water would help. Like, mixing 200 ppt or more and applying it to the affected area.

Back
Top Bottom