vintage scuba books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft:
I collect diving books and cannot pass a used bookstore without looking for one I don't have. Hit paydirt today and purchased DIVE by Rick & Barbara Carrier written in 1955 for $1.50 and a 1965 first edition of Above & Below by Tom Shelnick for $2.00 Both are loaded with great pics of vintage gear and are a great reference for a vintage diver such as myself. Needless to say I would have paid a bit more for these books if the sellers knew of the growing interest in vintage dive literature. They would also sell well on ebay. Don't throw your old brochures and catalogs away. Vintage divers use them to aid in classifying gear configurations and in collecting equipment.
I purchased a copy of "MASK and FLIPPERS ... the story of skin diving" by Loyd Bridges and Bill Barada (copyright 1960) from Amazon.Com for $15.00 last summer .......

Yeah Scubapro50, that is a fun one to read. I picked that one up also for a few bucks. Now you just need to get the LP record of Lloyd Bridges scuba instruction record to go with it.

The reason that kinda stuff gets to be worth anything good is cause most of the others got tossed out leaving few others left.

james croft:
I collect diving books and cannot pass a used bookstore without looking for one I don't have. Hit paydirt today and purchased DIVE by Rick & Barbara Carrier written in 1955 for $1.50...
++++++++++++++++++++++
There are three editions of the book DIVE,by the Carriers:

**1955 by the Carriers--published by Wilfred Funk
***1963 revised by Gene Parker--Published by Wilfred Funk
****1973 revised by Charles Berlitz Published by Funk & Wagnals

All three are very histotically significant and should be in every vintage divers library as reference books

SDM

"scubapro50...I purchased a copy of "MASK and FLIPPERS ... the story of skin diving" by Loyd Bridges and Bill Barada (copyright 1960) from Amazon.Com for $15.00 last summer ..."

Interesting historical book.

It was published in hard cover and soft cover. I have both both enscribed to me by Bill Barada and Lloyd Bridges. I often wonder what they are or will be worth?

It was written by Bill Barada and was only intended to be published by Bill. Bill had written a number of books; was PR for US Divers and was the author of several Sea Hunt scrips, where he met Bridges.

Lloyd Bridges lent his name to the book for marketing purposes and the book sold well.

The Sea Hunt record/CD leaves a lot to be desired, but worth collecting in record format-- the CD is very very common and has little value

SDM

Scubapro50.

I note that you are a diving dinosaur!

Are you a member of the elete NAUI group who are idenified as "Diving Dinosaurs?" Requirement for membership is instructor status in NAUI for 25 or more years.

SDM

I think it may be YOU guys that are driving the prices up on this stuff...

As with everything....it's demand and supply...

sam miller:
Scubapro50.

I note that you are a diving dinosaur!

Are you a member of the elete NAUI group who are idenified as "Diving Dinosaurs?" Requirement for membership is instructor status in NAUI for 25 or more years.

SDM
only 25 years ....... now I really feel old. My NAUI CARD IS SO OLD it was printed on heavy stock white paper that fell apart if it got wet !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom