vintage scuba books

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[quote="scubapro50]only 25 years ....... now I really feel old. My NAUI CARD IS SO OLD it was printed on heavy stock white paper that fell apart if it got wet !"[/quote]

FYI the NAUI Diving Dinosaur (D/D)was established just about the time you began diving, therefore you are not one, but use the name, which is fine with me but some what confusing.

The D/D was established around 1985 to recognize those who had been NAUI Instructors for at least 25 years and since it's inception in August 1960. Very few qualified. And very few are still around. That is why I asked the question of you.

Yes the orginal cards for all agencies were hard paper stock. You can have it replaced by NAUI for a fee, however, I would use it until it falls apart--sets you aside and a moss back!

Cheers from California where it all began,

SDM

Sam,
With your personal knowlege of the early days of diving and the folks you met I am surprised that your instructor card was on paper stock. I would have sworn it had to be chiseled out on a stone tablet.

sam miller:

FYI the NAUI Diving Dinosaur (D/D)was established just about the time you began diving, therefore you are not one, but use the name, which is fine with me but some what confusing.

The D/D was established around 1985 to recognize those who had been NAUI Instructors for at least 25 years and since it's inception in August 1960. Very few qualified. And very few are still around. That is why I asked the question of you.

Yes the orginal cards for all agencies were hard paper stock. You can have it replaced by NAUI for a fee, however, I would use it until it falls apart--sets you aside and a moss back!

Cheers from California where it all began,

SDM
Untill you said something I never heard of the "Diving Dinosaur" NAUI instructor group. In Texas we refer to a "diving dinosaur" as anyone who started out in the 50s or 60s and have continued with the sport. My original NAUI card was issued by Robert F. Richardson who later started the OCEAN CORPORATION in Houston. I believe he was one of the 1st NAUI instructors in the Houston area back in the 1960s.

scubapro50]Untill you said something I never heard of the "Diving Dinosaur" NAUI instructor group. In Texas we refer to a "diving dinosaur" as anyone who started out in the 50s or 60s and have continued with the sport. My original NAUI card was issued by Robert F. Richardson who later started the OCEAN CORPORATION in Houston. I believe he was one of the 1st NAUI instructors in the Houston area back in the 1960s

No harm done on the dinosaur thing.

Yes I knew Robert. We use to correspond on conchology. As I recall he has been gone for many many years. It was a big shock to all.

The first NAUI Course was August 1960--I don't recall him in that course--but at this juncture I can't recall a lot of things.

sdm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom