Visayas Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

manhattandiver:
Thanks for the advice. The trip is actually just for me. I've been to the Philippines twice before and dove from Panglao the first time and PG the second. PG was great for the hotel (Atlantis), the proximity of the dive sites and the variety of macro life. Overall, however, I preferred the diving from Panglao. More big fish, better visability, more dramatic walls, etc. I was especially impressed with Balicasag and Cabilao, though I remember it being tough to get enough people together in the off-season to organize a day trip to the latter (hence the question of whether it would make more sense to just stay there for a night).

I've also heard great things about Apo, but mixed things about the other dive sites near Dumaguete. How does the diving compare to Panglao and PG? Are there enough good sites in the area to keep me busy for five or six days? (I generally like to do four dives a day, though I don't mind repeating good dive sites). Also, have you or anyone you know stayed in Dumaguete town itself, instead of at the resorts nearby? New Yorkers like myself tend to get a bit stir crazy when we're in a place with a population density of less than 1,000,000 people per square meter. Again, any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Atlantis PG has a sister resort in Dumaguete. And the chef there is also a NewYorker to boot. Dumaguete has dark sand (I think PG has white sand?) and macro life in the area is very good. If you like crowds then you can easily go to town in the evening (it's just a short drive from Atlantis). I think there are enough sites in the area for 5-6 days of diving. More details? Check out www.atlantishotel.com.

cheers,
marku

Just got back from the Visayas, 5th trip this year...

Did Boracay (GF does not dive) and diving was OK although I thought there were less larger fish comapred to May...

The on to Dumaguette (Atlantis). Apo Island is OK but maybe someone here can explain the high prices for diving there? The house "reef" has dark sand and tires, the shore dives are all very similar. A lot of viz problems due to siltation from nearly streams. US$30/dive, $US1 camera fee...puh-leeeeze. Where are all the fishes to justify those prices? I guess the fishing nets found in the "Marine Sanctuaty" gives away a hint...

The Atlantis hotel is remote, has a lot of rules (no room service, no food in the room, no outside food, corkage fee for wine?!?) and a mediocre restaurant for what it wants to be. Jack, the cook, is trying and the waitresses are in need of some serious training. Don't want to sound spoiled but you can get better service elsewhere.
Trips to Apo Is. are an extra $22 boat fee.

I usually dive out of Panglao and Balicasag and Apo Island are comparable, Balicasag is much cheaper though. Panglau has a nice house reef and dives are 22 USD, no camera fee or boat fee.

Definite thumbs down for Duma for me!

On to Anilao: Hotel Eagle Point was a rip-off, dive shop was sub-par but the diving was awesome! Since I was the only customer in the hotel and the only diver as well I was free to roam.

So, out of the Visayas Panglao wins clearly, Duma is too expensive and Boracay can be nice if you know what to expect.

Waiting to go to Leyte soon...

chinadan:
The Atlantis hotel is remote, has a lot of rules (no room service, no food in the room, no outside food, corkage fee for wine?!?) and a mediocre restaurant for what it wants to be. Jack, the cook, is trying and the waitresses are in need of some serious training. Don't want to sound spoiled but you can get better service elsewhere.
Trips to Apo Is. are an extra $22 boat fee.

Definite thumbs down for Duma for me!

So, out of the Visayas Panglao wins clearly, Duma is too expensive and Boracay can be nice if you know what to expect.

i thought duma was cheap, im perplexed as why they would charge that much?

chinadan:
On to Anilao: Hotel Eagle Point was a rip-off, dive shop was sub-par but the diving was awesome! Since I was the only customer in the hotel and the only diver as well I was free to roam.

Waiting to go to Leyte soon...

your report just reinforces the reasons that make me want to go to Bohol!

Eagle point is a nice resort (since it is more than just diving) but I'd have to agree with the prices. I was supposed to go with my friends but they were turned off since it was so expensive! Any reason why you picked Eagle as opposed to the cheaper surrounding dive resorts? Glad you enjoyed Anilao diving!

Let us know how Leyte is.

Back
Top Bottom