Where to do an OWD certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mejevika

New
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a beginner, and planning to do my PADI Open Water certificate in Philippines next month, but can't seem to decide on the place. Would you go for Moalboal, Malapascua, Dumaguete/Dauin, Panglao or another place (in Visayas) entirely? I read that Malpascua is more interesting for AOW, and Moalboal is not as great as it was before the typhoon (anyone been recently?). Would appreciate any advice.

Honestly, during your OWD course you're busy with handling yourself and doing skills. I think there may be easier places to dive (less current, good visibility, something to see at shallow depths), but other than that, focus on the course rather than the location. Just my thoughts, obviously.

If diving anywhere other than near home I would recommend doing all the e-learning portion ahead of time (which you might already be planning to do, but it's worth mentioning). I can't speak to the Philippines other than it's universal the individual instructor will make or break the class, but I would also like to advocate for getting certified locally. Even if Germany has much colder waters than where you may anticipate usually diving there are plenty of lakes and quarries to learn in. Learning in colder waters/lower visibility will have you over prepared for future warm water/great visibility, but learning in the Philippines will not adequately prepare you to dive locally.

Hi all! I'm a beginner, and planning to do my PADI Open Water certificate in Philippines next month, but can't seem to decide on the place. Would you go for Moalboal, Malapascua, Dumaguete/Dauin, Panglao or another place (in Visayas) entirely? I read that Malpascua is more interesting for AOW, and Moalboal is not as great as it was before the typhoon (anyone been recently?). Would appreciate any advice.
I would contact various operators and raise any question in mind.
Moalboal is only couple of hrs from Cebu City by public bus.
You can easily travel to all other mentioned places afterward.
You do need to be AOW certified to see thresher shark at Monad Shoal in Malapascua.

Subic Bay is quick and easy to get to from Manila and a great time. We have an outstanding instructional staff (Aussie, British, American) and offer an all-in PADI Open Water Diver Course ( PADI eLearning, instruction, equipment, confined water, 4 - boat dives (on genuine Philippine bangkas!) and certification fees) Two or three of the dives are typically done on wrecks.

You can roll right into the AOW course with 5 more dives after your OWD. All on wrecks of some sort if you wish. We also offer a AOW/EAN Nitrox combo.

If you are looking for the experience of some low-vis diving as GiraffeMarineSalvage has brought up, we're happy to help you with that too with some fun dives after your certification. We can't help you out with cold water diving though. It's pretty much shorties or just board shorts and rashies for us :)

Complete information here. PADI Open Water Diver - Mangos Dive Center - Subic Bay, Philippines

Contact us on the links below!

Subic Bay is quick and easy to get to from Manila and a great time. We have an outstanding instructional staff (Aussie, British, American) and offer an all-in PADI Open Water Diver Course ( PADI eLearning, instruction, equipment, confined water, 4 - boat dives (on genuine Philippine bangkas!) and certification fees) Two or three of the dives are typically done on wrecks.

You can roll right into the AOW course with 5 more dives after your OWD. All on wrecks of some sort if you wish. We also offer a AOW/EAN Nitrox combo.

If you are looking for the experience of some low-vis diving as GiraffeMarineSalvage has brought up, we're happy to help you with that too with some fun dives after your certification. We can't help you out with cold water diving though. It's pretty much shorties or just board shorts and rashies for us :)

Complete information here. PADI Open Water Diver - Mangos Dive Center - Subic Bay, Philippines

9 warm water dives don't honestly achieve "Advanced" open water in real life though...

I am in Panglao right now. Was there last November for 2 weeks as well. Good place to do your course many dive ops to be with. Bohol Divers Club is who I dive with & well run.

I have friends working in Moalboal at Cebu Seaview Dive Resort. Wife is an instructor from UK and her UK partner manages the resort. I used to dive in Moalboal a lot before covid but have not been back since Dec 2019. Dumaguete/Dauin also has good operators I believe Bongo Bongo is noted for being good over that way. Mango divers already mentioned.

So budget, time you can stay, travel time you need to factor in as well. Just done 9 dives in 3 days, on many dives we are back at reef in the sunshine at around 5m depth dawdling around for 20 minutes as so much to see in the shallow reefs and reef walls as well.

As others have said, do at least all your theory at home before travelling.

I did my open water pool sessions and dives in Thailand and if it were now, I would have done the full open water course at home and just fun dive there.

A good instructor is more important than the location.

I strongly advise against doing Advanced Open Water immediately after. Do some dives after your open water course to reinforce the skills you just learned. I would avoid a shop with this kind of offers.

@mejevika
The OP has asked which place in Visayas for OW and my reply was Moalboal.
But if I have to suggest a place in Philippines then it is Puerto Galera.
Several easy sites(sandy bottom) with no current and very few boat traffic. And if staying at Big La Laguna then the house reef is within spitting distance.
Most dive resorts would have swimming pool to conduct the initial confined water training. Please do enquire about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom