Where to do an OWD certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9 warm water dives don't honestly achieve "Advanced" open water in real life though...
This is semantics, and understanding. You are focusing on the 'advanced' part - as a lot of people do. It's actually more important to realise that the name is advanced "OPEN WATER", and the class is in fact designed to be taken directly after your OW class.

So when taught well, and understood as just a small step up from Open Water, then it is actually advisable to do it back to back. Just don't expect to be an Advanced diver, only advanced open water...

When taught well any course is great, not denying that at all... My issue is precisely the semantics and false sense of "advanced" abilities that inherently would logically go along with "advanced" open water certification...
My university open water course back in the day (over a couple decades ago, not that I'm as old as that makes me sound...) gave me all the tools to advance organically at my own pace without any delusions of being "advanced" or the confidence/peer pressure that goes along with a title... At times it seems they might as well be giving participation awards instead of genuine certs.. (get people the minimum skills they need to let them learn and refine safely on their own, whether it be basic open water, nitrox, or first CCR course... THEN provide a reason to learn more refinements in additional courses instead of selling meaningless certs...).

Hi, Panglao is a great place to do your open water course. It's so easy to get to from Manila now (one hour flight) and there are many dive centers to choose from. I usually recommend Valm Divers, on Alona Beach. It's a smaller dive center but has good equipment and instructors. The diving in Panglao is also very good.

I was over in Moalboal recently and the reef has had damage from the typhoon. It's generally just the first few meters and then the reef is fine. I usually dive with Blue Abyss in Moalboal.

Good luck finding a nice dive center and welcome to the underwater world.

I am in Panglao right now. Was there last November for 2 weeks as well. Good place to do your course many dive ops to be with. Bohol Divers Club is who I dive with & well run.

I have friends working in Moalboal at Cebu Seaview Dive Resort. Wife is an instructor from UK and her UK partner manages the resort. I used to dive in Moalboal a lot before covid but have not been back since Dec 2019. Dumaguete/Dauin also has good operators I believe Bongo Bongo is noted for being good over that way. Mango divers already mentioned.

So budget, time you can stay, travel time you need to factor in as well. Just done 9 dives in 3 days, on many dives we are back at reef in the sunshine at around 5m depth dawdling around for 20 minutes as so much to see in the shallow reefs and reef walls as well.
You must be talking about Paul and Koz 🤣

Hi all! I'm a beginner, and planning to do my PADI Open Water certificate in Philippines next month, but can't seem to decide on the place. Would you go for Moalboal, Malapascua, Dumaguete/Dauin, Panglao or another place (in Visayas) entirely? I read that Malpascua is more interesting for AOW, and Moalboal is not as great as it was before the typhoon (anyone been recently?). Would appreciate any advice.
This is May already and what happened to your proposed trip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom