Wakatobi trip report, 7/5-7/27/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've stayed at the Ambassador Transit Hotel in Terminal 2 and Terminal 3. Rooms were quite comfortable, quiet, very clean and larger than I expected. If you don't have the time to go into Singapore proper than the transit hotel is hard to beat. There is a convenience mart of one type or other in each terminal and that is where we bought our beer, water and snacks for our layover.

Thanks for the trip report and great pictures. I am heading over in 4 weeks and cant wait!!!!

For those that have made reservations at the transit hotel... I have sent 2 reservation requests and an email to them but no response?? Anyone else have trouble contacting them? I would really like to have a room available when I get there!

Yes I have in the past had trouble getting a response. Are you using the link on their web site? One time I finally gave up and let my TA do it. She got right thru...same price.

Last time I used them I tried twice to book using their online reservation without any success but when I sent an email directly to them at rsvn@airport-hotel.com.sg I got a quick response and reservation.

I have filled out the online reservation form twice and sent an email directly to them. No response. I guess I will just wing it and hope they have rooms available when I get there.

I have filled out the online reservation form twice and sent an email directly to them. No response. I guess I will just wing it and hope they have rooms available when I get there.

Keep trying....MY TA is also trying to get thru and she says that their mailbox gets full. They are have a price increase August 1st by about 10 USD. Thus they are slammed. Keep trying.

If you do arrive at Singapore airport and there are no rooms in any of the transit hotels (terminals 1, 2 or 3) , and you don't want to go to the big new regular hotel attached to Terminal 3 or into Singapore, there are a few places that are somewhat dark where you can lay down.

One place is in terminal 2 near the Transit hotel, take the elevator or escalator from the second floor near the Koi(fish) pond (and Orchid Garden) up to the third level and find the "movie" theatre which is a darkened room with cinema seats where they show movies from satellite TV, there is a little space off to the side which is carpeted where one could try and sleep. Also just out the door from the movie theatre is access to the roof top Sunflower Garden which has some covered areas and wood benches.

It is also the smoking area so you may run it some local staff on break

I have slept on the wooden benches. Just know that just as you are falling asleep a night patrol of armed security guards will wake you to check your passport and boarding pass.

On that same level are more computer terminals with internet access as well as X-Box video games (all for free)

Finally got a response from the email I sent them...they do not have my reservation....so I emailed back the info....who knows how long it will take to get another response.

If I had known it was going to be this difficult I would have started the process much sooner!

Thanks for the info!

I understand August 1 they are having a price jump. My TA was having a problem getting thru also so yesterday she send the payment so they would have it by Aug 1st.

I am on my way back from Wakatobi after a really excellent dive trip. I thought that I would post a few details here. I went with my wife and son, and we were there for 17 days. We were in Wakatobi last December for a 7-day stay, and that left us wanting more. We are very glad we could arrange for a longer stay this time.

We left Baton Rouge on July 5, went to L.A., and caught the direct flight to Singapore on Singapore Airlines. We arrived in Bali on the 7th, and stayed overnight at the Patra Bali hotel near the airport (nice, but expensive). We left the next morning for Wakatobi, but the flight was delayed until about 1pm. So we arrived at the resort in the late afternoon, and could not get in our first dive until the 9th. A little disappointing, but not a big deal, as we were going to be staying for a while. We usually did both morning dives and the afternoon dive. We skipped the night dives, as well as a couple of the afternoon dives. The weather was excellent. We got a few drops of rain one day, and it rained another night, but that was it. The weather was ~78-85 F during the day, and comfortable at night. Clear skies and calm seas. This is in stark contrast to late December, when we did not see the sun, but got a lot of liquid sunshine. The water was a little cooler in July, typically 79 F, which was a little cool for me in a 3mm full wetsuit. I think I would opt for a 5mm wetsuit, given the choice. The visibility was good, but not as good as in December. Typically, we had about 50-70 ft visibility. This was fine for enjoying the excellent reefs. Some sites had better visibility (such as Blade, fortunately), but there were no real complaints about the conditions. There was only one dive with any significant current, the house reef. This can be calm or have a strong current. We dove it both ways during this trip. Again, no problems at all. Our favorite dive sites were probably Pastel and Magnifica for the beautiful and lush reefs with loads of soft coral. The Zoo and Roma were great for macro. Actually, all of the dive sites had both great macro and "wide-angle" aspects. Blade was a beautiful site with a long ridge with three pinnacles. The pinnacle with the mooring was quite shallow (~20 feet), and was wonderful. Most of the dive sites had the lushest soft and leather corals at the shallower depths (15-35 feet), and other pretty and interesting features deeper (sea fans, gorgonians, barrel sponges, more nudibranchs, different kinds of fish, turtles, etc.) My favorite parts of most dives was the shallow stuff, but it was great having both in a single dive. Most of the boat rides were 10-20 minutes in length. An exception was blade, which was a 50 minute ride. Well worth it, no complaints.

The accommodations were very nice, and the dive operation was first rate. Some people who have posted messages on Scubaboard felt that Wakatobi is too restrictive about limiting dives to 70 minutes (and about having to follow the dive guide). I am not so critical of the time restriction, as they are trying to maintain a schedule, and I am fine with a 70 minute dive. I guess that this is a matter of personal opinion. With respect to following the dive guide, that was fine with us, because we appreciated having the dive guide as a spotter. Our dive guide was C.J., and she was an excellent spotter, and very helpful in every way. I liked all of the dives guides that we had (a couple of others substituted on her days off). With respect to the restrictions about diving as a group, it was not unreasonable as you really just had to be within sight of the dive guide. If you find this too restrictive, and you like to explore on your own, the house reef is available from 6am-5:30pm for diving with a buddy (or solo, if you are certified as a solo diver).

The dive boats are very nice and spacious. The staff carries your dive gear out to the boat each morning and sets it up (if you wish, which we did). They also carry your stuff out to the storage area when you are done diving for the day. Very nice. There is a good camera room which is air conditioned and dry. There are many charging stations.

Many people rave about the food. I think that it is fine, but nothing memorable. I loved the trip, and would do it again in a heartbeat. The reefs are healthy. The whole experience is geared towards making the diving fun and easy. It is not cheap, and it is a long way. That said, it is worth it. I took a ton of pictures, and am still editing and culling them. Here is what I have posted so far on Flickr, if you want to have a look. 2008 Wakatobi - a set on Flickr
Hi Erwin,
Thank you so much for your most informative summary of your Wakatobi experience. Much appreciated. And the great photos. I'm booked for 11 days end of August. Curious about how you got a non-stop flight on Singapore Air from LAX to Singapore. Did you fly business class? I have to go via Toyko. My main concerns about diving are the currents and the water temp. I have a 3mm suit. Do they rent something to supplement if needed? Sounded like the currents are ok except occasionally on the house reef. Love snorkeling afternoons off shore. What can you advise about snorkeling in Wakatobi? Heard the lighting is dim for reading at night in the rooms. Do I need to bring a reading lamp, and if so, can you or anyone out there recommend one? Any other helpful hints, suggestions, advice, etc. you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom