Wakatobi trip report, 7/5-7/27/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I sympathize. I tried everything and finally was advised by the Singapore Tourist Bureau to get a calling card from the 99 cent store (if they have them in TX) and call the hotel. There's a phone number on the website for the Ambassador Transit Hotel and they will give you the number for reservations. I got right thru and got a confirmation number. Sorry I don't have the phone # handy but wanted to let you know asap as time is of the essence. I think they're about 15 hrs ahead of Pacific time. Hope this helps.

Jonathan.....When I was there in October and the water should of been (or so i was told) 82 to 84 degrees...it was 77 to 80 maybe! I only brought a 1mm shorty. I froze my butt off. They only thing they had in there shop to rent was a 5mm.....I froze that 10 days! My trip report is posted in this forum.

Hi Erwin,
My main concerns about diving are the currents and the water temp. I have a 3mm suit. Do they rent something to supplement if needed? Sounded like the currents are ok except occasionally on the house reef. Love snorkeling afternoons off shore. What can you advise about snorkeling in Wakatobi? Heard the lighting is dim for reading at night in the rooms. Do I need to bring a reading lamp, and if so, can you or anyone out there recommend one? Any other helpful hints, suggestions, advice, etc. you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

You are likely to find water under 80 degrees in August. If you are taking a 3 mm, I would recommend at least having a beanie plus vest to go with it. Not saying that would be enough ... I would probably add a fleece lined skin under a 3 mil in August, or go to a 5 mil. Wore a 3 mil and beanie in October when the water is a little warmer.

Snorkeling will be excellent at high tide when you have 4-5 feet of water over the reef top; at low tide, no water! But you could snorkel then right along the top edge of the wall, which has amazing soft coral!

Yeah, reading light definitely dim. I always pack a small LED headlamp on every trip. For $20-$25 you can get one with 3 light levels and long battery life, perfect for reading and such. Check an REI store or similar. Here's a typical one ...

Princeton Tec | Technical Sport Lighting | Aurora

If you're near an REI or other outdoor store they'll have a selection of headlamps.

Last edited:
Can also find currents on other dive sites that are close to the passages in between the reefs not just the house reef, its a moon season thing.

Hi Erwin,
Thank you so much for your most informative summary of your Wakatobi experience. Much appreciated. And the great photos. I'm booked for 11 days end of August. Curious about how you got a non-stop flight on Singapore Air from LAX to Singapore. Did you fly business class? I have to go via Toyko. My main concerns about diving are the currents and the water temp. I have a 3mm suit. Do they rent something to supplement if needed? Sounded like the currents are ok except occasionally on the house reef. Love snorkeling afternoons off shore. What can you advise about snorkeling in Wakatobi? Heard the lighting is dim for reading at night in the rooms. Do I need to bring a reading lamp, and if so, can you or anyone out there recommend one? Any other helpful hints, suggestions, advice, etc. you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
Just saw your questions. First, with respect to nonstop flights from L.A. to Singapore on Singapore Airlines, they only have business class. Coach class requires the type of route that you referred to. With respect to currents, most of the boat dives they do are chosen with the idea of minimal currents. A little current is good because they make the soft corals "blossom." The only dive I did with any substantial current was the house reef. That can have no current or strong currents (called the "Wakatobi Express" by the dive masters). While we were there, we dove it at both extremes. However, it is an easy dive to do with strong current, because they just drop you in and you watch the scenery go by (quickly), and they pick you up when you need to surface or after 70 minutes (your choice). When the current is mild, the snorkeling is great (I have been told, never done it). I have been diving on the house reef, and the scenery at shallow depths is great, so the snorkeling should be very good. With respect to water temperature, it was typically 79-80F while we were there. It can be a degree or two colder. I would recommend a 5mm full wetsuit and a hood. They may have what you need to rent. I would email them to check. (It is probably cheaper to buy, though.) Of course, people have a different sensitivity to cool water. Room lights are sort of variable. I think it depends on which bungalow you are in. When I was there in December 2007, we were in a beach bungalow that was dark, and we could have used better reading lamps. For our most recent trip, we brought along clip-on lights for reading, and we found that we did not even use them because the lighting in the room was fine. My advice is to bring along a light to play it safe. Buy a little one at a bookstore that clips onto your book.

I actually prefer the one stop flights to Singapore from LA. They are direct (meaning no change of plane) You get an hour or so to stretch your legs in Narita, Tokyo's airport. It also leaves LA mid day so less traffic in getting to the airport. You will need to take your carry on luggage off the plane with you as they clean the plane and you get a new crew for the last leg.

Since Singapore Airlines flies out of the LAX Bradley International Terminal (located between terminals 3 and 4) allow at least one hour just for getting your luggage checked and screened and getting thru security if you are checking in there.

As of last year (2007) Singapore procedures were that you stand in line to check in and get your bagged tagged and then you have to drag all your checked luggage to a screening station in the front of the terminal that is used by multiple airlines. You wait until your luggage gets screened and then you can go to the gates.

Also, if you are going on to Manado, the non-stop passengers will be there on the same flight as you. I don't know when your connecting flight to Bali leaves but with the one stop to Singapore,you arrive in Singapore earlier than the non-stop which means more sleep time in Singapore.

The non-stop flights tend to be much more expensive and usually not available with any discount. I got LAX-SIN (via Narita) to MDC (Manado) for $1124 March of last year (2007) on the Singapore web site ($45 cheaper than my Travel agents wholesale price) . On the non-stop (back when they had coach/economy seats) it would have been about $1800.

One big advantage of the one stop, if you get lucky someone will get off at Narita, Tokyo then you will have an empty seat next to you for the next leg of the trip.

Hi Erwin,
Thank you so much for your most informative response. Don't much like cold water but I've been doing laps in a pool for 30 minutes that's 80 degrees and it feels perfect without a wetsuit. My dives are usually only 30-45 minutes at 60 ft anyway so I'm hoping my 3mm wetsuit will be enough. Got the reading light you suggested at Borders yesterday as well as the Quad light with headband at Sport Chalet and see which works best. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. Is there any other advice you can think of for Wakatobi? How about Bali? I'm staying overnight in Kuta going, and Ubud for 3 days following Wakatobi. Any suggestions, advice, where to eat, etc in either place would be greatly appreciated. As of now, I'm going by the Lonely Planet recommendations for restaurants. Thanks again for your great email. Jonathan

Hi Alan,
Thanks for the info. I'm departing from LAX and seem to recall from previous vacation trips that you check in first and then get the luggage screened. However, with all the plane changes, I'm a little worried about the luggage being transferred to the flight from Singapore to Bali from the first plane. Anyone ever had a problem with that or losing their luggage en route? Another question - I understand a Wakatobi representative meets you in Bali, gets you thru customs fast, you give him the $25 cash for the visa or whatever it is, and then the hotel picks you up and takes you back the next day for the flight to Wakatobi. Any advice on that? I booked thru Island Dreams. Anyone else book Wakotobi thru them? Many thanks, Jonathan

Jonathan, I've done the Lax-Narita-Singapore-Bali 4 times. Never had a problem with my luggage. They check it thru at LAX.

Regarding the Wakatobi rep meeting you that is after Customs and the $25 you pay. Check with your TA but they should have a person meeting you when you get out of the customs area. It would not be a Wakatobi person unless you booked the Hotel thru Wakatobi. The next day depending on what time your Wakatobi flight leaves (you'll probably have Crispin's number to call) you will arrive at the Domestic terminal once inside there should be plenty of Wakatobi people around to get you checked in and up to the Lounge.

I concur with TravelInsj. I have done Lax-Narita-Singapore-Manado route with Singapore Air three times, never a problem. Also did Malaysian Airlines via Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu to Manado (flight is no longer in existence - but maybe it will come back ) with no problem.

That said, a warning for those transiting international thru the US. A few years ago some Irish women thought they were checking their luggage thru to Fiji from Dublin. They flew to London and then to LAX for the flight to Fiji. Then they noticed that there was luggage on the carousel at LAX that looked just like there luggage. It was their luggage. The grabbed it and cleared US Customs and then off the the side there is a counter for onward connections and they rechecked it. You have to take your stuff thru US Customs when transiting.

In my carry on I have a bathing suit, dive computer, regulator, and BCD. the fins get checked as most any fins will do in case of delay or loss of luggage.

I clip on with snap bolts to my carry a regulator bag. There is still space to put the reg bag in the carry on (when I am out of the airport), but I find that having it as separate item makes it so much easier for screening.

If you do the Narita flight as soon as you arrive you must go thru another h㥤and luggage screening and the Japanese screeners are not used to seeing a lot of regulators the way say Fiji screeners might.

Even at LAX Bradley when I have had the reg packed in the main carry on, they have made me take it out and rescreen it.

I have not been thru the Bali airport visa procedure since 1997 but I know the past four years at Manado my reaction has ranged from , "gosh, can't they get this right, its so easy" to "Hey they are efficient this week" It is an easy procedure.

Make sure all US currency that you bring is nice and crisp and clean and recently printed. This is especially true of $100 bills (because certain years were counterfeited). No one wants to change or accept old or dirty US banknotes.

Inquire about the international departure tax which is (was in April 2007) payable in local currency after you check in and before you enter the departure area. Each airport is different in the exact amount, I think Manado was 100,000 rupiah , but it will be in the US $10 range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom