Wakatobi trip report, 7/5-7/27/2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jonathan, I've done the Lax-Narita-Singapore-Bali 4 times. Never had a problem with my luggage. They check it thru at LAX.

Regarding the Wakatobi rep meeting you that is after Customs and the $25 you pay. Check with your TA but they should have a person meeting you when you get out of the customs area. It would not be a Wakatobi person unless you booked the Hotel thru Wakatobi. The next day depending on what time your Wakatobi flight leaves (you'll probably have Crispin's number to call) you will arrive at the Domestic terminal once inside there should be plenty of Wakatobi people around to get you checked in and up to the Lounge.

If you just e-mail Crispin crispin@wakatobi.com ahead of your departure, he'll have someone waiting for you before you get to customs, regardless of whether you booked your hotel through Wakatobi or not. We actually landed, had someone from the resort meet us and get us through customs, then took off for 5 days in Bali before shuttling to the resort. As long as you're eventually going to Wakatobi, they're happy to meet you.

If you just e-mail Crispin crispin@wakatobi.com ahead of your departure, he'll have someone waiting for you before you get to customs, regardless of whether you booked your hotel through Wakatobi or not. We actually landed, had someone from the resort meet us and get us through customs, then took off for 5 days in Bali before shuttling to the resort. As long as you're eventually going to Wakatobi, they're happy to meet you.

Highdesert....where would they meet you?.....you get off the plane if you are flying international, you walk directly into the waiting line/customs desk. In the four times I have gone thru Bali I have never seen anyone that is not an Airport employee or Customs officer until you leave customs. Then right outside customs there will be many people waiting to pick the people exiting.

Highdesert....where would they meet you?.....you get off the plane if you are flying international, you walk directly into the waiting line/customs desk. In the four times I have gone thru Bali I have never seen anyone that is not an Airport employee or Customs officer until you leave customs. Then right outside customs there will be many people waiting to pick the people exiting.

We were met by a Wakatobi representative just inside the terminal door before we ever got into the customs line (four of us). He took our money and passports and came back in less than five minutes and walked us right past the customs and immigration desks. He pointed us to the baggage area, waited while we got our bags, showed us where to change money if we wanted, waited while we did that, and walked us out the door, where 5,728 cabbies were waiting. Our driver for the Hotel Tjampuhan in Ubud was front and center with our names on a sign. I think we were in a cab in about 15 minutes after we exited the aircraft. Most of the people off the flight were still in the customs line. Tell you what, it all happened so fast, there was zero time to decompress before the culture shock of Denpasar traffic at rush hour. Coulda stood a couple double brandies first!

Last edited:
We are off to Wakatobi in October and I can't wait!

You have some gorgeous shots in that gallery - thanks for posting the link. What lenses were you using and did you find the most useful while there?

Good heads up about the reading light, I hadn't thought about that and it might be something I need to look into.

We were met by a Wakatobi representative just inside the terminal door before we ever got into the customs line (four of us). He took our money and passports and came back in less than five minutes and walked us right past the customs and immigration desks. He pointed us to the baggage area, waited while we got our bags, showed us where to change money if we wanted, waited while we did that, and walked us out the door, where 5,728 cabbies were waiting. Our guy for the Hotel Tjampuhan in Ubud was front and center with our names on a sign. I think we were in a cab in about 15 minutes after we exited the aircraft. Most of the people off the flight were still in the customs line. Tell you what, it all happened so fast, there was zero time to decompress before the culture shock of Denpasar traffic at rush hour. Coulda stood a couple double brandies first!

Man I need to hang out with you....I've never got that Royal treatment or ever seen anyone get it. Whether I'm staying in Bali or headed to Wakatobi. One time I got in just after a JAL 747 arrived...waited over an hour to get thru customs and find my hotel guy with a sign that had my name on it....Damn...

Jonathan listen to highdesert!!

Hey, what can I say ... thirty-one hours after getting on a plane at home, we must have had "the look" ... whatever that is. I just thought we were getting the regular Wakatobi welcome!

The only other explanation I can think of ... Crispin and I had several very friendly e-mail exchanges prior to the trip, wherein I pestered him with questions. Maybe that made us stick in his mind, for better or worse. Come to think of it, he actually called this Wakatobi rep on his cell phone while we were waiting for our luggage. The guy hands me his phone and says, "Crispin wants to talk to you." So Crispin asks me if everything is going well ... can you believe it? Maybe he thought, after my questions, that we needed some "special" treatment to make it through customs intact. Whatever the reason, I know from your trip report and mine that you can't beat Wakatobi's attention to detail!

Oh, here's another one ... I wanted a pair of the famous gray Wakatobi shorts from the shop at the resort, but they were out of my size. So the way cute lady who runs the shop calls Crispin and tells him, and when we land back in Bali, there's Crispin with my shorts in his hand! Amazing ... totally amazing.

Last edited:
.....We flew business class from L.A. to Singapore......The Changi airport is Singapore is also wonderful. The new Terminal 3 just opened this year, and it is incredible. We stayed in the Air Singapore lounges (Terminal 2 on the departure, and Terminal 3 for the return), and both were great......

Erwin,

I am also travelling business with Air Singapore on my way to Wakatobi this May. They advertise actual beds in their lounges. We are on a 14 hour lay over, and have made a reservation at in the Airport hotel. Any idea if these beds in the lounges are good enough for an overnight stay??

Thanks

Rick

Erwin,

I am also travelling business with Air Singapore on my way to Wakatobi this May. They advertise actual beds in their lounges. We are on a 14 hour lay over, and have made a reservation at in the Airport hotel. Any idea if these beds in the lounges are good enough for an overnight stay??

Thanks

Rick

No they are not....they are like lounge chairs in a quite room, many other people around trying to nap. Also unless you are flying business to Bali those are departure lounges not arrival Lounges. Stay at the transit Hotel in T-3.

There is a new expensive full size luxury hotel attached to new Terminal three as well as small low cost transit hotels upstairs on level 3 at all three terminals at Singapore airport.

Here is the website for the Ambassador Transit hotel Ambassador Transit Hotel You pay by the six hour block of time. The first six hours is 35 Singapore Dollars (USD$23) for the cheapest budget room and 13 Singapore dollars USD $8.50) for the next six hour block. Add 10% service charge and 7 % tax. A standard room (attached bathroom) is 58 Singapore dollars (USD$38) plus service charge and tax, and 13 for the next six hour block.

Here is the web site for the airport Welcome to Changi Airport
Do not miss the lovely indoor gardens. Terminal 2 has an Orchid Garden with Koi fish pond at the end just below the Ambassador Transit hotel and a Fern garden at the other end. Here is the section on transit Transit

There are free internet terminals all over the airport including the departure area. Also Wifi in certain areas. If you need to call Singapore city there are free telephones on the wall. Also in some locations free X-Box video games.

In Terminal 2 on Level 3 near the Transit Hotel there is a "Movie Theater" which is darkened room with theatre seats and a large video screen showing movies from satellite TV. Next to the theatre is a door leading to the Rooftop Sunflower Garden. It is a designated smoking area and you often see airport employees out there on a break. I often go there at night because the airport sometimes is too cold.

There are several transit counters at key spots in the Singapore airport, even if you have a confirmed seat on an onward flight, often there are seats with more legroom that get released hours before the flight and you can request them at the Transit counter. It is worth asking.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom