Want to replace "pull balls" on dump valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure where in central NJ you are but I'd suggesting stopping in at The Scuba Connection in Hillsborough on rt 206. They carry several BCD manufacturers as well stock parts so they have all sorts of pull-dump valve thingies - round ones, connical ones, square ones, etc, etc.

They'll be quite happy to help you find what you need and probably put it right on for you while you wait.

Ray

Here is a cheap option...had to do this in a pinch and still use it. Take the top off of a bulky child-proof pill bottle (plastic screw cap), drill a small hole in it and secure it to the pull cord...not real fancy but works.

Scubamax

sytech:
Thanks for the advice. That's a very good approach but I still would like to get another shape.

By the way, is there a formal name for these things? (dump valve balls?)

Thanks

I have no idea what they're called. Something I've seen people use as replacements is golf balls. They're much bigger, negatively buoyant and easy to locate by feel. Maybe this is something for you...

R..

"Official name"? How about "pull bob"! If that causes the LDS guy to squint, try "pull knob". Everybody knows what a knob is, right?

BTW, somebody tell the "DIR" gurus that a little velcro will keep the bob from straying. I replace the string with 200# monofilament.

I lost mine after a trip to Cozumel. I went to the LDS and they gave me a used one for free - since it was used (didn't have a price on it) and probably came off someone's BCD. Another reason to patronize LDS frequently.
Dive Safely.

Maybe the string is just too long? I keep meaning to shorten the back dump string on my AVID. Once in a while it will get under the jacket and hide.

Pete

sytech:
Want to replace "pull balls" on dump valves
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Cressi-Sub Aqualight-R BC which I love.

The only thing I don't like are the "pull balls" on the dump valves.

They are round and like a large marble have no texture. I have seen others which have different shapes and textures which make them easier to locate by hand feel.

I buy from LeisurePro and they seem to have everything but I can't find these things.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Sy

Here is a much better option. Instead of going to a dive shop - goto a hardware store and look at all of the options for pulls. They have decrotive ceiling fan pulls, curtian pulls, venitian blind pulls etc. For a buck or so, you should be all set with a couple options to try.

Get a whiffle golf ball.
Available in select colors.
Usually 3/$2 or so.

sytech:
Despite your sarcastic opening line , you do stumble onto some good points. You also appear to have an "agenda" of some sort. You an LDS maybe? I went to your website and see that you are apparently highly qualified but not exactly "objective".

B.t.w., I always like the obligatory "alcohol (ic)" references. In a sport where so much time energy and rhetoric is given to safety concerns I have always been amazed at the concommitant crowing about getting buzzed (usually the night before diving) despite an avalanche of evidence from any and all sources that drinking and diving are real risk enhancers. Anyway, that's a separate book. Nothing personal. I've done my share for sure.

Getting back to my first paragraph, that's called "competition".

Let me clarify something for you:

I never said that LeisurePro "wouldn't help" I simply said that I could not find the item (at their internet site). I didn't know what the term was and couldn't find them in the search engine.

Had I picked up the phone and called LeisurePro I would have had a quick answer. Also, posting a question like this on this website is likely to get me answers which are more informed and without the conflict of interest which the LDS usually has when you purchase equipment from them. The Internet has given us a way to get answers from highly qualified personnel throughout the world and not have to rely on a particular LDS. I think that's a much better way to go. I want to thank the other posters who have answered my query.

I have bought lots of stuff from LeisurePro and find them to be extremely reliable and certainly less expensive than an LDS can be. Oh yeah, I did email Cressi about a month ago but never received a reply.

I also find your final quote (from Churchill) to be quite foolish not to mention wholly inaccurate. Save those comments for the many regimes in the world who never do "right" nor intend to.

Sy

:popcorn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom