War Eagle!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

covediver...
If the streak keeps going, I'll be getting my "Fear Both Thumbs" shirt like everyone else! (in 4 more years)

That would be nice and I would certainly enjoy it, but I seriously doubt we will be fortunate enough to hold Bama down that long. Although with our young team from this year, the near future is looking promising.

Personally, I'm kinda glad Bama lost this time...I was on shift that night, and if we had won, the partying would have been nonstop, along with the requisite drunk drivers, bar fights, and general mayhem. Whenever we lose, it gets kinda quiet in T-town for the night :wink:

2250753WIronBowlWeekendToomersFire01.jpg

2250754WIronBowlWeekendToomersFire02.jpg

2250755n7005972360962928196.jpg

Toomer's Corner Auburn Alabama Sunday morning at 2 am.... What on Earth have we come to?

what? that's pretty funny. Except for the damage to those old trees that it might cause.

I was wondering when I'd see some Toomers Corner photo's from this year. To be honest, I expected more toliet paper than that. I've been there before where you couldn't walk for all the TP, or see traffic signals, or hardly drive through it...

did the fire department set it to get rid of the toliet paper? surely not because of the tree damage. They could get it out with water hoses.

or was it set by disgruntled Bama fans? :dork2:

Please explain how Auburn TIGERS = War Eagles.

It's the "Battle Cry" of the team.

from Wikipedia

"War Eagle" as a Battle Cry

"War Eagle" is a battle cry and symbol of Auburn University. There are several stories about the battle cry, but the most popular myth was originally published in 1960 in the Auburn Plainsman and was conceived by then-Editor Jim Phillips. Phillips told the story of the first time Auburn met Georgia on the football field in 1892 and centered the story around a fictional spectator who was a veteran of the Civil War.

In the stands with him that day was a golden eagle the old soldier had found on a battlefield during the war. He had kept it as a pet for almost 30 years. According to the story, the eagle suddenly broke free and began majestically circling the playing field. As the eagle soared, Auburn began a steady march toward the Georgia end zone for a thrilling victory. Elated at their team's play and taking the bird's presence as an omen of success, Auburn students and fans began to yell "War Eagle" to spur on their team ("war eagle" was once the common term for golden eagles). At the game's end, the eagle took a sudden dive, crashed into the ground, and died. But the battle cry "War Eagle" lived on to become a symbol of the proud Auburn spirit.

The 1914 contest with the Carlisle Indians provides another story. The toughest player on the Indians' team was a tackle named Bald Eagle. Trying to tire the big man, Auburn began to run play after play at his position. Without even huddling, the Auburn quarterback would yell "Bald Eagle," letting the rest of the team know that the play would be run at the imposing defensive man. Spectators, however, thought the quarterback was saying "War Eagle," and in unison, they began to chant the resounding cry.

Another version of the War Eagle story comes from Indian lore. Legend says "War Eagle" was the name given to the large golden eagle by the Plains Indians because the eagle furnished feathers for use in their war bonnets. The rarest but most historically likely version of the origin of the "War Eagle" cry grew from a 1913 pep rally at Langdon Hall where students had gathered the day before the Georgia football game. Cheerleader Gus Graydon told the crowd, "If we are going to win this game, we'll have to get out there and fight, because this means war." During the frenzy, another student, E. T. Enslen, dressed in his military uniform, noticed something had dropped from his hat. Bending down, he saw it was the metal emblem of an eagle that had been loosened while he cheered. Someone asked him what he had found, and Enslen loudly replied, "It's a War Eagle!" History was made as the new cry echoed throughout the stadium the next day as Auburn battled Georgia.​

Auburn is one of the few schools in the NCAA with two mascots (I think Virginia Tech is one of the other ones - Hokies and Gobblers). They recognize both Tigers and War Eagles as their mascots.

HEY-BAMA.jpg

:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom