War Eagle!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HEY-BAMA.jpg

:laughing:

I love. I got a Bama fan ticked today when I told them in 4 more years I was going to wear my t-shirt that said "FEAR THE OTHER THUMB"

here's a bumper sticker from the AL-AU game two years ago when they sacked Bama's quarterback Broadie Croyle 13 times in that game.

20060428_103137.jpg

"War Eagle fly down the field
Ever to conquer, never to yield.
War Eagle, fearless and true
Fight on for Orange and Blue
Hey! Hey! Hey!
On to victory, strike up the band
Give 'em hell, give 'em hell,
Stand up and yell, Hey!
War Eagle win for Auburn
Power of Dixie Land."
Rick

Please explain how Auburn TIGERS = War Eagles.

Oh, because the rolling tide(not so much lately) has everything to do with elephants? :lotsalove:

Even Mike Shula has a new t-shirt. I wonder why? :rofl3:

fearthethumbshula.jpg

Ohhhhh, man, that's COOOOOOOOOLD!!!! :rofl3:

What is Mike doing these days? I hope he gets some consideration for some of the job openings that are beginning to grow.

Ohhhhh, man, that's COOOOOOOOOLD!!!! :rofl3:

What is Mike doing these days? I hope he gets some consideration for some of the job openings that are beginning to grow.

He's the quarterback coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Alabama still has to pay him for the balance of his $4million contract that he isn't paid by Jacksonville. So Bama still has to pay him some serious dough

Auburn is one of the few schools in the NCAA with two mascots (I think Virginia Tech is one of the other ones - Hokies and Gobblers). They recognize both Tigers and War Eagles as their mascots.
No Auburn doesn't recognize the War Eagles as their mascot or at least not as a team name. We yell, War Eagle but we are not the War Eagles--there is no s on it--it isn't plural--it is a battle cry. Sports teams are all tigers and students are generally Plainsmen. We do have eagles because of the raptor center at the vet school and as a part of the the extension program one of those eagles has been designated as "War Eagle" and is a school symbol. But those birds aren't mascots in the sense that Uga and Smokey are for Georgia and Tennessee, their main purpose is for public education about eagles and other raptors not to be a school pet.

Thanks for the explanation. I wonder if any Alabama fans would explain Roll Tide.

I have no dog in this hunt. I went to a small division three school in Mississippi. It made the news this year for the long play with the numerous passes. Unfortunately, we were on the losing end.

explain Roll Tide.

is this pic not explanation enough? :rofl3:

rtr_TroyFerguson_and_JerryBogle.jpg

Actually, "Roll Tide" is the rally cry/chant for Alabama, like War Eagle is for Auburn.

The team is nicknamed the "Crimsom Tide". The name Crimsom came from the school colors of Crimson and White.

This from Crimson Tide - RollTide.com—The Official Web site of University of Alabama Athletics!

How the Crimson Tide Got its Name

In early newspaper accounts of Alabama football, the team was simply listed as the "varsity" or the "Crimson White" after the school colors.

The first nickname to become popular and used by headline writers was the "Thin Red Line." The nickname was used until 1906.

The name "Crimson Tide" is supposed to have first been used by Hugh Roberts, former sports editor of the Birmingham Age-Herald. He used "Crimson Tide" in describing an Alabama-Auburn game played in Birmingham in 1907, the last football contest between the two schools until 1948 when the series was resumed. The game was played in a sea of mud and Auburn was a heavy favorite to win.

But, evidently, the "Thin Red Line" played a great game in the red mud and held Auburn to a 6-6 tie, thus gaining the name "Crimson Tide." Zipp Newman, former sports editor of the Birmingham News, probably popularized the name more than any other writer.​

I've heard several other stories about it also. One was that red clover was that a Birmingham News reporter wrote that as the drove to Tuscaloosa, there was a Red Tide of Crimson Clover in bloom rolling all the way there along the highway to Tuscaloosa.

They got their nickname the Elephants, which became their mascot, because of a fan or radio announcer said "it sounded like a heard of elephants thundering down the field". Some folks say the "Roll Tide" came from this as it was a Crimson Tide Rolling down the field.

All of this of course is part of the Legend of these teams as there are several historical variations no matter which shcool you go to.

BTW... the Alabama Auburn game is called the Iron Bowl. This is because orignally the game was played in Birmingham at Legion Field which was at the time the biggest stadium in the state and was supposedly "neutral ground", although Alabama played many of it's home games there, so they indirectly had the home field advantage.

It was called the Iron Bowl because it was the state rivalry and because the Iron Mills that were the major industry in Birmingham for years. The event is always the last game on the schedule for both teams and typically played one of the last weekends in November. If it wasn't held on a Saturday, I'm sure the Alabama Legislature would pass it as an annual state holiday.

It was played there until about 15 years ago when Auburn moved the game to Auburn since Jordan Hare stadiumn was now bigger than Leigion Field and also due to the fact that even though it was supposed neutral ground, somehow Alabama always got more ticket sales allotted to them when playing in Birmingham. Go figure.

The Alabama home games were continued to be played at Legion Field for the Iron Bowl until they finally enlarged Bryant Denny stadium and move the Iron Bowl game to Tuscaloosa. Legion Field now is in it's decline as I've heard it has structural problems in it's upper decks. I think they removed the upper decks a few years ago due to building code issues. It's now used by UAB for it's home games.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom