War Eagle!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live just north of auburn university and came through toomers corner last night. A friend asked me if the pic was real. I guess he figured I owuld know since I work for the city that neighbors auburn but anyways when I came through the trees were unhurt and unburned so I am wondering if that is some sort of altered picture. Maybe it was not that bad. I know several of the guys that work for the fire department in Auburn and I will ask and find out how realistic those pics are and will post as soon as I find out.

Well I just found out that those pics are real and not altered. I just saw it on our local news. I figured with technology nowadays, someone altered the pic and started sending it on the internet. I was trained by the guys at Auburn Fire Department when I received my state firefighter certification and can tell you that they are really awesome at what they do, so I am really not surprise that the tree is not damaged.

I remember from when I was a kid that the easiest way to clean up a yard that had been rolled was to burn the toilet paper. As long as the trees weren't dry (drought conditions) or the leaves had already fallen if they weren't evergreens, then paper would burn and the trees wouldn't catch fire. It was a rather easy way to clean up the mess. I never actually did this so I don't know how well it worked but I do remember people talking about cleaning up that way. Of course I don't remember Toomer's Corner ever being cleaned up that way while I was in school.

i am surprised the tree is still standing, considering the EXTREME drought we are uner at this time. I have rolled many yards in my life. One weekend while in High School We 386 rolls on a classmates yard. I have spent many days burning it out of my trees also.

No Auburn doesn't recognize the War Eagles as their mascot or at least not as a team name. We yell, War Eagle but we are not the War Eagles--there is no s on it--it isn't plural--it is a battle cry. Sports teams are all tigers and students are generally Plainsmen. We do have eagles because of the raptor center at the vet school and as a part of the the extension program one of those eagles has been designated as "War Eagle" and is a school symbol. But those birds aren't mascots in the sense that Uga and Smokey are for Georgia and Tennessee, their main purpose is for public education about eagles and other raptors not to be a school pet.

I stand corrected then. :blush:

. Of course I don't remember Toomer's Corner ever being cleaned up that way while I was in school.

While I wouldn't call it part of a "clean up procedure", a little web research found that people have set the toliet paper on fire before also at Toomers. (It didn't say whether it was AU fans or visiting fans that did it...)

from The Loveliest Village » Blog Archive » The Fate of the Toomer’s Corner Oaks

The Fate of the Toomer’s Corner Oaks

Dr. Enebak indicated that the tradition of rolling at Toomer’s Corner was not a direct factor in the decay of the two trees. Recently, there have been several incidences where people have lit pieces of toilet paper on fire and the flames have carried up into the trees. In order to ensure that a dangerous situation does not unfold, crews have begun pressure washing the toilet paper out of the trees after each game. The pressure washing is an added stress on the trees and often causes loss of limbs, branches and leaves.

Other reference of students setting it on fire in 1976 or 1977
Auburn Alumni Association Auburn Magazine

Where There’s Smoke…

Around 1976 or 1977, my roommate and I took a first-aid class in Auburn, taught by a man I recall as being the Auburn town fire chief. Sometime afterwards, we saw an article in the Plainsman in which he announced that the custom of setting the Toomer’s pep-rally toilet paper on fire was hazardous and illegal and wouldn’t be allowed. Anyone who was caught setting the toilet paper on fire would be prosecuted. We attended the next Toomer’s Corner pep rally and noticed that fire chief in the crowd. There was a commotion nearby, and the chief had apparently tackled a guy who had attempted to ignite the toilet paper, and had him flat on the ground. I don’t think anyone set the paper on fire after that!
- Sharon Mohney ’78 of Covington, Va

Here are some other previous fire pics from August 2007
Toomer’s Corner «

Looks like they are discussing this recent fire on the LSU Fan forums also. Some of them cheering/laughing about it.
Toomers Corner...ON FIRE! @ TigerDroppings.com

Here is a story on local TV news:

Fan sets fire at Toomers Corner

Fan sets fire at Toomers Corner

November 27, 2007

Auburn, AL (WTVM) - Toomers Corner is often the place to be after Auburn football games.

Unfortunately, it was also the place for firefighters to be early Sunday morning.

Auburn fire investigators say around 2:30 they got a call from a witnesses who says they saw someone use a cigarette lighter to set fire to the toilet paper draping the tree.

Thankfully, the flames didn't spread to nearby buildings and nobody was injured.

Fire investigator says this is nothing new.

They usually have at least one fire a year after Auburn fans roll toilet paper on Toomer's Corner.

I stand corrected then. :blush:
Sorry, it is one of my personal pet peeves to have someone refer to Auburn as the War Eagles. I cringe whenever the football announcers do that on TV. As someone who grew up in Alabama and has parents, siblings, aunts, uncles and cousins who all graduated from Auburn as well as a degree from there myself, our multiple sayings for both Auburn and Alabama make perfect sense to me but can be confusing to those who haven't been properly indoctrinated from birth or at least lived in the state for a while. It is a rivalry unlike any other. I don't know of any other place that makes you pick a preference upon arrival. I remember a classmate who moved to my hometown when we were in Junior High. He was of course asked who he was for, he said NC State and was quickly told that was no longer one of the options.

wow... this is too damn funny not to post.

Here is the Auburn Band playing "Rammer Hammer" to Alabama

(Now, before anyone says this is poor sportsmanship towards Bama, the Bama band plays this every game and the fans scream it, so this is a dose of their own medicine)

YouTube - Iron Bowl 2007 Celebration

For further information on Alabama/Auburn rivalry reference is hereby made to Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.

I love the tradition that surrounds SEC football. I still get chills when the Pride of the Southland marches the Power T down the field. And how about playing between the hedges and Mike the Tiger on the field and the Mississippi cowbells and My Old Kentucky Home.

I may rag on Auburn but if they are playing a non conference game I'll be yelling War Eagle just as loud as I can. Got to support your conference.

BTW, do you know what the average LSU player gets on his SATs?

Drool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom