WARNING! No Jewelry Diving AND Secure Your Camera Well - Pass the word....!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people have a tendency to lose stuff, they just do, don't need to go underwater to make magic with their keys, glasses and of course jewelery. On a parallel note, other people can go without losing any item regardless the activity they engage.

The best way for me to lose the only earrings I own is to take them off my ears and place them in a "secure" place. I will for sure forget either to retrieve them or the "secure" place. Same with all the stuff I wear. which is a watch, necklace, bracelet and the earrings. The same exact ones I've been wearing for the last 30 years or so. I've changed watches a few times, and the batteries or bands for the watches. Actually feels weird to not have a watch if even for a few hours. Same weird feeling when I have a medical procedure and they insist on me removing everything.

If I have to lose any of my stuff I can't imagine a better place for them to go than the ocean. My husband received a gold necklace this past week for his birthday, and I asked him today before going out in the boat: Are you taking it with you? didn't you read Dandy Don's post? he laughed and kept on going.

:laughing: Cool, Anna. If y'all read it and still do, your call. :thumb:

I have been bothered by thread after thread about divers losing rings and cameras and have often wondered if they just didn't think about the risks and no one warned them, hence this thread. I doubt that it will create enough controversy to be well remembered or relayed, but I tried.

I have been bothered by thread after thread about divers losing rings and cameras and have often wondered if they just didn't think about the risks and no one warned them, hence this thread. I doubt that it will create enough controversy to be well remembered or relayed, but I tried.
This news item from a few years ago should aid retention . . . of the story at least, if not of the lesson to be learned.

Crown prince Frederik loses wedding ring while diving in Florida

-Bryan

When I was married I always wore my ring. Everywhere. It may sound odd, but I always felt if anything happened to me, I wanted it on me. Odd, I know, but that's me.

I'm also a tad superstitious on occasion. I've never been on a dive without my Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon watch, and as long as it lives it will always submerge with me. It's a thing now. If I were to loose it, I would be quite upset, but I don't like diving without it.

I guess my views on jewelry are going to be different from most with my background as farming with a ring on is not only a good way to plant one (they never do sprout), but worse a good way to get caught on moving machinery and lose body parts. Cowboying with a ring on may not be so dangerous but still, it's a good way to lose one. Hehe, I'll never forget that scene from "City Slickers" where the dude lost his Rolex delivering a calf. I was commenting then "Yeah, that's the way we do it, but we take our watches off first." :shocked2: Funny, I wear a $25 dive watch everywhere but have never lost one. It came lose on a cliff climb once, but I got a new pin inserted and still wear it.

So remember boys and girls, before doing anything, and I mean anything, ask yourselves first.....

What would DandyDon do?

Think your ring is safe because you wear gloves? :no: I have seen at least 3 in my time go flying off hands while removing gloves.......

Those rings just seem to have a mind of their own, don't they? Be sure to take care of them, and treat them like they're Precioussssssssss....

Well, I don't guess I accomplished much with this thread. I do keep reading about lost rings and cameras. Some people just insist on swimming/diving with rings, then woe be upon them when it slips of wet.

Well, I don't guess I accomplished much with this thread. I do keep reading about lost rings and cameras. Some people just insist on swimming/diving with rings, then woe be upon them when it slips of wet.
mb and I don't wear rings diving (which feels a bit strange to me and must feel very strange to her), but she does wear some cool jewelry while diving. The only times she's lost earrings has been during cold surface intervals (apparently they must've been caught on the towels and boat coat or something). I've de-ringed when taking off my gloves on cold biking days, and I've thrown a few across the room in the winter, so I'm pretty sure I could lose one if I wore it diving.

(We clean the local university's pool often, and it's amazing what can apparently fall off people in the water.)

Back
Top Bottom