WARNING! No Jewelry Diving AND Secure Your Camera Well - Pass the word....!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My ring can't come off except with soap as a lubricant.

My wife has a pair of "dive earrings." She wore a pair of 3/8" diam gold ball earrings on one of her first dives to 60+ feet and the balls are now compressed and wrinkled because of the pressure!

Well, I don't guess I accomplished much with this thread. I do keep reading about lost rings and cameras. Some people just insist on swimming/diving with rings, then woe be upon them when it slips of wet.

I've read some threads where people have lost masks too. Should they leave them behind also?

I've read some threads where people have lost masks too. Should they leave them behind also?
That seems to be a rare occurrence compared to rings and cameras. I do carry a spare in my BC pocket just in case.

My grandson lost his snorkeling recently. He said he was standing on a rock, pulled it up to his forehead, then dropped it. It sunk below the rock so he free dived down without equalizing and blew his ear drum. It's been over two weeks and he said he could sorta equalize yesterday. He had two flights today but I haven't heard how those went yet.

Well, I don't guess I accomplished much with this thread. I do keep reading about lost rings and cameras. Some people just insist on swimming/diving with rings, then woe be upon them when it slips of wet.

You will never prevent people from paying the dumbass tax.

I've found more RayBan, Oakley, D&G, Chanel, Gucci, Maui Jim, etc etc sunglasses than I can even count. Also, at least 6 or 7 rings, watches, dive lights, dog leashes, masks/snorkels, fins, probably 40 anchors at least, and best of all a good bit of cash.

Hooray beer and party barge people...stay thirsty my friends :cool2:

That seems to be a rare occurrence compared to rings and cameras. I do carry a spare in my BC pocket just in case.
Of course, rate of loss has nothing to do with whether I'll leave a required piece of equipment behind, but since you mentioned yours, my spare mask is attached to my backplate. :biggrin:

My grandson lost his snorkeling recently. He said he was standing on a rock, pulled it up to his forehead, then dropped it. It sunk below the rock so he free dived down without equalizing and blew his ear drum. It's been over two weeks and he said he could sorta equalize yesterday. He had two flights today but I haven't heard how those went yet.
Now that's an anecdote I might borrow to answer the question of what can happen to your mask on your forehead. (I'm not religious about it like some people at my LDS, but I like to give my students reasons to think about so they can decide for themselves.)

Rings on a dive and masks on foreheads. Both can be done by some people in some conditions many, many times without issue, but given the right person in the right situation, and either can cause unnecessary inconvenience. My personal recommendation to people is to do the little things that can minimize the potential for inconvenience, as long as you don't get religious about it and forget the whole reason the suggestion came about in the first place.

Just got word from Houston. His ear is ok, as far as teenage boy talk goes. I reminded his mom to mix alcohol & vinegar for ear treating after the beach or pool, but I didn't get swimmers ear at that age either so they probably won't - until one does. :shocked2:

I wonder why some don't get swimmers ear and some do, and it changed on me when I became an old coot?

One of our divers has an Oceanic Datamask. He's lost it. TWICE. The second time he had a retractor connected to it so he wouldn't lose it again. I still haven't figured out how he managed to do it, but it's Fred, so it really doesn't surprise me.

Luckily, both times he lost it in the quarry we train in, so other divers found it and returned it to the shop.

Reactions: Ana
Well, Don, at the very least, we discussed the concept quite a bit, and even had some fun with it. I think people are more likely to read a topic, when others are having fun with the discussion.

I think most of us appreciate the concern as well, even if we're not hurrying to agree with leaving behind rings and cameras.

Back
Top Bottom