Washing wetsuit in washing machine - top result - bad for the washing machine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I picked this tip up from scubaboard to wash the wetsuit in the washing machine, and it gives fantastic results - the suit comes out soft and feels like new - I guess the salt has been thoroughly washed out.

It made me think that the salt water may not be good for the washing machine over time - does anyone know? I thought it may be a false economy, and shorten the washing machine's lifespan by more than the wetsuit is worth. (It is an Asko machine.. not cheap.)

Thanks!

The washing machine will be fine.

The wetsuit should be OK in a front loader. A top-loader may rip it up.

flots

Agree with flots. I've been washing in a front loader for years with no issue. Just a bit of Tide and you're good to go. Granted my suit gets rinsed before it goes in. Everything on my Electrolux is stainless, so not sure i need to worry about salt water anyway.

Have washed all my neoprene in front-loading washing machine for 10 years now. Hand wash cycle, hair shampoo, baby shampoo or Woolite. Suits and washing machine are fine.

So I picked this tip up from scubaboard to wash the wetsuit in the washing machine, and it gives fantastic results - the suit comes out soft and feels like new - I guess the salt has been thoroughly washed out.

It made me think that the salt water may not be good for the washing machine over time - does anyone know? I thought it may be a false economy, and shorten the washing machine's lifespan by more than the wetsuit is worth. (It is an Asko machine.. not cheap.)

Thanks!
Very little salt water is left in the suit,and when you put it in the machine with 20 gallons fresh water and woolite or detergent the salt is greatly reduced, you probably couldn't even detect the salt with a Brine Meter. And then the next load you do will rinse the machine thougouly. no worries Mate !

Please note that everyone who does this uses a front loader. A top loader will destroy the wetsuit.

I just can't see why anyone would subject a wetsuit and a washing machine to each other especially if salt water were invoved, there's just no need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom