Washing wetsuit in washing machine - top result - bad for the washing machine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just shower in mine. I've never even considered putting it in a machine because I simply don't need to do it. Of course, I don't pee in my suits either. If I did, I'd probably use a machine after every dive day.

I have considered doing it a time or 2. I have always been worried that it would do damage to the suit or the washer.

I guess the next time I use any of my wetsuits into the washer they go.

I will not use my dryer. My neighbours have gotten used to seeing my dive gear hanging from the line.

04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 06:04 PM ----------

I have to ask, which way do washing machines spin down there?

04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif
04.gif

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 06:12 PM ----------

I just shower in mine. I've never even considered putting it in a machine because I simply don't need to do it. Of course, I don't pee in my suits either. If I did, I'd probably use a machine after every dive day.

:shocked2:
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif
11.gif

The damge to the suit is usually to the stitching, not the rubber.

I have worked at a number of shops which would every once in a while take the wetsuits to a laundromat and use one of those giant front loaders.

I put my sea water/piss soaked un-rinsed 7mm suit, hood, gloves and booties in my front loader and use warm water and extra rinse. I use a wee bit of liquid Tide. Everything comes out like brand new and dries really fast. I think the long cycle and warm water are key. Additionally, there is no left over neoprene smell or anything else.

I wash my wetsuits in the bath tub in luke warm water with a cup of green listerine.
The regular listerine part will kill any bacteria and the green minty part will knock out the usual odors.

I soak our wetsuits, hood, skins, and dive shoes overnight in the tub with the no-stink liquid stuff thrown in. The next day I drain the tub and let the articles sit there for about an hour so they aren't super wet when I throw them into my front-load washer. I use liquid Tide and use the "normal" cycle and choose warm-cold. Some of our suits are neoprene and the others are Fourth Element that have the fleece lining. I never put any of the articles in the dryer. Everything goes outside and is hung up on our big Palo Verde tree in the backyard...along with BCDs, sausages, fins, regs, etc. I'm sure the neighbors love us.

Back
Top Bottom