Watch out for Divers Down / Cayman Diving College

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE Fundamentals certainly helped, but it was Rick and local Tuesday night divers that really did it for me (GUE trained). If not for them, I've have no skills what so ever, and would never have started diving in the lakes around Spokane.

Zeph

Hi Zephrant,
If that had hapened to me I would be extremly annoyed. It only takes one problem to take away valuable dive time during a holiday.

Having said that I have used divers down on two different trips and both times were great, different times , different experiences !

cheers
Doug

A couple more notes- I took my family on another Stingray City Sandbar trip with a second company, so have a little more data for comparison.

Things I really liked about the Diver's down trip:
They started early- We were the only boat there, which was very nice. On my second trip we also went in the morning, but were one of 14 boats when we got there (I made the mistake of going on a day cruise ships were in).

The Videographer put in a lot of work. I did not catch her name, but she was in the water literally before the boat was anchored with scuba gear on, taking video before the water got mucked up. She also dove while the group snorkeled later and took a lot of video of the group, people waving, and even drew out some large eels. She was heading in to convert the tape to a DVD with music and titles and all after the trip, with delivery to your hotel later that day. Her price of $60 for the DVD seamed too high to me at the time, but I would have liked to have seen it.

The snorkel portion was on a nice reef section, not just some heads on the sand flats. A good location, with lots of life.

Things I would have changed:
The boat was a three-pontoon boat, with about 75% shade. We all got pretty wet with the spray on the way out. The boat had no head- I had a 3 year old with constipation issues that week, and no head was a significant concern.
One more person on the boat would have been nice. Only the Captain and the Videographer were on board this trip. When they were both in the water, no-one was on board to help people load/unload or to help exchange gear. Not a big point, but when my later trip had three people plus the Photographer, I did appreciate the extra help being around.

Alex and his lovely wife, are indeed, AWESOME! :D We had a wonderful time diving with them this summer ( Hi Esther ). Met them on a Don Foster's boat dive. We hope to dive again with them soon.

As for the topic. My husband Angus and I have used several of the dive ops on GC, we take extended trips to the island as much as budget permits. I have used Diver's Down once, and in *my* experience, was disappointed. The folks on the boat were downright surly. Now I know that it may have been a once in a lifetime bad day. But, with the cost of GC and the cost of the dives, I won't return to anyone who doesn't provide excellent service.

I have heard good things about this dive op and appreciate that they posted there version of the story

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate experience.

Eden Rock Diving Center offers guided night dives from shore by arrangement most nights of the week.
Just call the shop and arrange the time and day with one of our instructors.

One final note- When I returned home there was a message from the owner Steve. He called me back a few days after I emailed him and made a nice apology, which I appreciate.

I also want to say thanks to Esther- She took time to take me out diving twice, and when she could not make it called around to find some friends that were doing a night dive, who let me tag along with them. (Thanks to those friends as well- that was a great dive, and they were extremely nice!)

So thank you Esther- I greatly appreciate your time and help, and it was great diving with someone as graceful as you in the water.

One of the dives was at Eden rock, and I highly recommend them- Nice place, good entry and the swim-through were great.

I hope to get back some day, just so I can dive with Alex and Esther again. :)

Zeph

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom