water up nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the limited number of dives you have I would find it hard to believe you would have evidence that would back up your claim. The claim that a FFM uses more air would better be tested by an experienced diver that has a solid track record of consumption using a normal mask and reg. How many dives do you have with each system?

So because I don't have 200+ dives, I don't know anything? I'm not capable of reading my dive computer to see that my bottom times have been consistent regardless of which system I'm using? It's not rocket science here. I'm merely stating an observation I've made on my own air consumption using a conventional mask & reg as compared to using a FFM. Nowhere have I stated that I've done extensive testing or that I've precisely calculated my rate of consumption. Simply given my opinion based off what I've found during my own dives so far. Take away from it what you will, as it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Ultimately, it's up to the OP to decide what's best for him and figure out what works. find somewhere to rent a FFM and try it out. If you like it....buy one. If not, don't.

But if somehow I'm posted some sort of misinformation, by all means oh wise dive god...please allow me to beg thee for forgiveness. But I thought the idea was to try to draw more people IN to diving....not shun them away with dickish behavior. My mistake.

Last edited:
So because I don't have 200+ dives, I don't know anything? I'm not capable of reading my dive computer to see that my bottom times have been consistent regardless of which system I'm using? It's not rocket science here. I'm merely stating an observation I've made on my own air consumption using a conventional mask & reg as compared to using a FFM. Nowhere have I stated that I've done extensive testing or that I've precisely calculated my rate of consumption. Simply given my opinion based off what I've found during my own dives so far. Take away from it what you will, as it's worth exactly what you paid for it. Ultimately, it's up to the OP to decide what's best for him and figure out what works. find somewhere to rent a FFM and try it out. If you like it....buy one. If not, don't.

But if somehow I'm posted some sort of misinformation, by all means oh wise dive god...please allow to be thee for forgiveness. But I thought the idea was to try to draw more people IN to diving....not shun them away with dickish behavior. My mistake.

Everything you have said is directly related to "experience", sorry if that upsets you but it is true. Therefore your "experience" comes into question.

Yes, you are capable of looking at your computer between two different dives to get a very small scope of data to look at but that does not tell the whole picture. It has been widely proven that gas consumption is higher in a FFM in comparison to a standard mask/reg setup. So your claim that it is better goes against convention and is the reason I asked for some more "evidence" to your claim. This is not a personal attack against you as you have evidently taken it, this is simply an exchange of information.

Everything you have said is directly related to "experience", sorry if that upsets you but it is true. Therefore your "experience" comes into question.

Yes, you are capable of looking at your computer between two different dives to get a very small scope of data to look at but that does not tell the whole picture. It has been widely proven that gas consumption is higher in a FFM in comparison to a standard mask/reg setup. So your claim that it is better goes against convention and is the reason I asked for some more "evidence" to your claim. This is not a personal attack against you as you have evidently taken it, this is simply an exchange of information.
Then please forgive my misinterpretation. Such is the problem with communication via texting, email, etc.

As far as air consumption goes, I never suggested a FFM was better along those lines. For me personally, a FFM is better and increases my enjoyment of diving, regardless of air consumption rate. I'm more relaxed in a FFM than I am in a conventional setup. So I "assume" my consumption rate is nearly the same just judging from my bottom times. I have no other data to back that up at this point because yes, I am still a fairly new diver. But I'm diving as often as possible to build up experience, although not in blue water as I don't live anywhere near the coast. Like I said, I haven't noticed a difference between the two, but that's not to say it wouldn't be different for someone else.

Again, I think the best way for someone to find out for themselves is to try it. I am by no means a highly experienced diver, nor am I a professional. Simply a person that enjoys being under the surface and blowing bubbles. And if any of the information I share can help someone else enjoy diving the way I do...then I've done my job. I apologize for any miscommunication.

In case of emergency, for example, your FFM leaks or 1st stage reg free flowing or 2nd stage reg free flowing, leading you to run out of air prematurely at depth (> 60') & forcing you thumbing the dive, doffing you FFM, needing your buddy to share his back up reg, would that mean you need to ascend without a mask?

In case of emergency, for example, your FFM leaks or 1st stage reg free flowing or 2nd stage reg free flowing, that leads you to running out of air at depth (> 60') & forces you thumbing the dive, doffing you FFM, needing your buddy to share his back up reg, would that mean you need to ascend without a mask?
Actually, no. I keep my traditional on me when I dive. For that very reason. And I've switched between the two several times just to make sure I stay proficient at it.

Make sure you don't lose your regular mask during the switch. I lost mine by doing MOF. Nowadays I put it around my neck & only take it off when I back on the boat or on dry land.

I would weigh in and add that for me, diving a FFM also adds to my comfort and enhances the diving experience greatly. In a half mask, I almost always had some water in the nose pocket which I found uncomfortable. With the FFM, that problem is solved. Because they don't allow significant amounts of water in, clearing is only an issue if you take it off and then don it underwater for some reason. They are easy to clear underwater as you are using the regulator purge to force water out. For me, I would say that SAC rate differences between FFM and a standard regulator have not been obvious. Rather, I find other factors play a much more significant role, visibility, current, and psychological comfort with the particular dive situation. The significant downside is that an OOA emergency requires bailing out of the mask, obtaining an alternate regulator and donning a half mask (which you should be carrying). That is unless you have a pony tank plumbed into your mask through a gas switch. I think if you manage your gas appropriately, aren't diving in super cold water (higher free flow risk), and have well maintained regulators, the odds of needing to emergently bail out of a FFM due to OOA is very low. If/when you dive a FFM in conditions that warrants use of a redundant air supply, then plan on using a gas switch to simplify the emergency procedure.

Actually, no. I keep my traditional on me when I dive. For that very reason. And I've switched between the two several times just to make sure I stay proficient at it.
im not interested in air consumption as of now, just want to get cert, then we will play with every little gadget exploring scuba diving will be fun. so debating which set up is better regular vs FFM is null. i do appreciate educated input, i always educate myself extensively before i start using anything thats just my nature i like to feel confident and secure when making changes.. if a full face mask consumes more air then i will dive shorter time or get a bigger tank the point is to have fun while staying safe. nice to hear you enjoy the full face mask and are able to relax and get good air consumption thanks for sharing your personal experience cant wait to try a FFM. hope you dont discourage from sharing. again thanks for sharing....

Not discouraged at all. I'm happy to share my limited experience/knowledge with anyone that will listen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom