"Waterproof" Drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a fan of neoprene suits and I'd like to try one of these. I have two concerns:
  1. Too many seams, most quality manufactures put a lot of effort into designing patterns to minimize seam length. This lesson seems to have been lost here.
  2. There is extensive use of coatings for abrasion protection. Often the net effect of this sort of treatment is to force the material directly adjacent to the coated area to stretch more than other parts of the suit and to fail sooner. I have seen suits where the neoprene surrounding kneepads of this sort of design failed completely leaving a suit that looked fine (the external nylon was intact) but that leaked water right through because the neoprene was torn through.
Perhaps they've addressed/solved these issues ... I'd like to see one.

Waterproof Wetsuits Link says:
Most wetsuits are made from a few large pieces of rubber that are cut to resemble the human form. They are then stretched to fit a "person" and stitched together. Wetsuits made in this fashion often lack durability: the seams are stressed from holding together the large pieces of material that are stretched over a person's body. However, if you're a once-a-year diver, this kind of wetsuit is likely highly adequate. An alternative method for making wetsuits is to make a three-dimensional design, take many smaller pieces of neoprene, and form those pieces to a person's body, much like paper mache'. Although there are more seams to contend with, the fact that those seams aren't stretched as much means they should last longer. Consequently, if you're a frequent diver, you might want to consider purchasing a wetsuit that has been crafted to fit the body carefully. In other words, you might want to look into Waterproof.
I'm open to the idea but skeptical, especially when it comes to a dry suit.

I was a bit skeptical as well until I tried one on. You can really feel the quality... The problem is that there isn't that many stores that have them in the U.S, and the one that do usually have only one in one size.

OK guys...there seems to be alot of interest in these suits.....PM me if your interested, Im bringing in the line and will be taking orders on the dry suits and wetsuits.....They wont be on our website for a few days, cuz Im swamped, but just PM me and we will get it ordered ASAP....

** EDIT** FREE SHIPPING ON ALL WATERPROOF SUITS FOR THE NEXT 2 WEEKS!!

Mike

DivingDoc/MarkUK - What do you guys where under it? What temps do you dive in?

I have a Draco and it is a great suit. I wear thin fleece underwear with it. I do most of my diving now in British Columbia. Have used this suit in January with water temps in the 42 -46 degree F range with no problems. These are great suits.

Scott

In the UK I have seen a lot of very happy drysuit divers with the Waterproof Draco. Consider the fact that Waterproof employs some of the World's most experienced Arctic and Antarctic underwater video- and photographers, they do know their stuff.

As for "too many seams" - I see your point, however, there is a difference in build quality. And fit comes into play as well. Especially on their wetsuits, the use of more "patches" as you would call it, offer a fantastic fit. This actually looks sexy on women for example. And their suits are in a totally different league from many other manufacturers who build "glove-like-suits" coming mainly from the surfing industry. If you want hard-wearing, top-quality suits, you are not making a bad choice at all if you give Waterproof a try.

Happy diving!
Jonas

Hey, nice looking suit. It's got that "European" multi-panel look, kinda similar to some of the Mares wet/semi-drys.

If it keeps you dry, I'm sure it's just fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom