Ways to reduce weight requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From equipment point of view, the key is to avoid using item that is positively buoyant AND have a heavy dry weight. Major items are usually such as AL80, full blown padded BCD, floaty fins. If you switch to HP100, you will shed 5-6lb. Switch bp/w, you may shed 2lb just because you lose the padding, and you move 5lb of ballast to your back, so you belt can drop 7lb. There you lose 12lb on your belt.

I am with TSanM, dont' go with postive fins for cold water.

Also, I don't think counting a heavy handheld light, or for that matter, anything you can lose accidentlly is a safe pratice.

I don't know what part of the Sound you are in, or what your schedule is, but I'd be happy to meet up with you someplace for a dive to try a backplate, and to play around with what you are doing with your weighting.

Positive fins are often not a good choice with a dry suit, because you want to put some air in your feet to keep them warm, which will make them want to rise; heavy fins counter that, and if you don't use them, you're often forced into ankle weights. Anyway, if you're not too far from Woodinville, you're certainly welcome to come over some day and look at what we use and how we have our weight distributed.

I work in Bothell, so I'd love to come by after work one day next week or so to look at how you have your gear set up and plan a dive to try out a backplate. That sounds great.

I usually do my diving on the weekends during the day, honestly - I've only been on one night dive so far and I think trying out new gear while also being inexperienced and having to pay that much more attention to lights and navigation at night would be a little much.

I work in Bothell, so I'd love to come by after work one day next week or so to look at how you have your gear set up and plan a dive to try out a backplate. That sounds great.

I usually do my diving on the weekends during the day, honestly - I've only been on one night dive so far and I think trying out new gear while also being inexperienced and having to pay that much more attention to lights and navigation at night would be a little much.
Yea its always a good idea when your trying new gear to get a few day dives in before you take them into the night. If something goes wrong there it can cause some pretty big issues depending on the degree of whats wrong. So good on you.

Are these the Jets that everyone's been recommending? SCUBAPRO - JET FIN Those look almost identical to the OMS Splitstreams, although the literature for the OMS specifically says they're neutrally buoyant.

Yep those are them. I didn't are for them when I tired them during my OW maybe down the road a bit as my legs get used to diving. they were heavy so the idea is to put weight on your feet to deal with any floaty feet issues without weights. I call them molded slabs of rubber which about sums them up.

Don't buy anything or change anything until you have a chance to come over. Bring your gear. We have a pool, although it's horribly cold right now. It's still good enough to get in to see how equipment balances. And we have a variety of fins to play with.

Some great advise here and I would take TSandM up on her offer. You may be able to redistribute or save a couple of pounds but just remember what really keeps us warm in a drysuit is trapped air. Right now I'm diving Fourth E SubX undergarments with a HP100 steel tank and using 40lb of ballast including my SS BP and heavy STA, I've tried dropping weight but then I have to dive with a squeeze and I'm less warm. I have just accepted that I need this kind of weight to stay warm in 40F water for over an hour. I have a Thermal Fusion and it does take less weight but it doesn't even come close to the warmth of the SubX.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom