Wearing Snorkel on Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some boats require that a snorkel be worn by every diver. I completely agree that snorkels are a pain and unnecessary unless used for snorkelling. My instructor felt it was necessary. I think it's added drag and a nuissance.

His point was that in an out of air situation if you had to swim to shore from miles away, it would help you swim there without tiring. I also can't see drift/current being that strong. However, I dive with a back inflate, and swim backwards on my back, not difficult.

This seems like one of those things that gets taught in OW classes just because it's always been taught that way and the agencies aren't interested in rethinking it, they are slow on changing their gospel. As with most gear there isn't one right answer that is best for all situations, carrying or wearing a snorkel included.

I keep one in my pocket and I think it's a good thing to have tucked away just in case, but I've yet to have a serious need for it. My mouth works just fine for breathing on the surface, no extra equipment needed. My reg works best of all as I normally have lots of air left. If there's waves and I have air I'm using the reg. If you have a longish surface swim and need to conserve air a snorkels good for that, unless you swim on your back.

One common safety argument against wearing a snorkel is that it's an unneccessary entanglement risk. That's more true in some environments and not much of a concern in others.

Another thing is that it might make your mask leak, at the very least a this is a nuisance and I suppose it could be argued that it would increase some people's stress and task loading. Snorkels when diving are a PITA pulling on your mask and generally getting in the way. Being comfy in the water is also a factor in being safe.

Wearing a snorkel in a strong current isn't a good thing, you don't need a sail trying to pull off your mask.

If you ever go to Stingray City in Grand Cayman, they tell you not to wear a snorkel else the rays will have a grand time using it to pry off your mask.

I think the odds of wearing a snorkel causing you a serious problem are extremely low for most people on average open water dives. I think the odds of a disaster on the surface because you're not wearing one all the time are also incredibly low.

My take on it is, "better to have and not need, than need and not have". I've got an Apollo that folds nicely and fits easily into one of my BC pockets. It can be removed and installed without mask removal (easily done). I always take mine and stow it prior to descent. To be honest, I don't see how anyone dives with it attached to the mask. I have, and it was in the way the whole time. Since I do a lot of shore dives I think it's a handy tool. If I lost this one, I'd buy another tomorrow.

Its personal choice in open ocean, some hate em, some consider them survival gear. The long hosers can't use them without running into deployment problems. (to stop it before it starts-not all long hosers are DIR). If you know you won't need it don't take it. Quarry divers have no use for them.

maybe i'm just and oldie but i've never dove without one, and find it a good tool to conserve air while on the surface waiting for others to enter or exit with water. i have an old rubber scubapro one that i have had for 22+ years, it has a smaller tube than most of the ones i see now days and i can breathe easily thru it.
i know a lot of people don't use them anymore because they get in the way, maybe i'm just used to it but it has never been a hassle for me to use and i like the idea of it being there if i need it.

Back in my youth we used to dive till hypothermia would set in.(aah to be young again:)). but more than once, while diving for such long periods we would encounter cramps.
if it wasn't for a snorkel, which allowed us to float face down, and work on the cramp we would have drowned. in one instant
I hit a thermocline so cold my whole body cramped. I wear my snorkel faithfully to this day when diving.

downunderjenn:
I have had recent debate over the necessity of wearing a snorkel on your mask. An instructor friend of mine insists that a Snorkel is a necessary safety device for surface breathing. Yes, it comes in handy for waves. His point was in an out of air at the surface situation it allows a diver to breath and is a necessary safety tool. I am tired of lugging it around, but always wear it due to PADI standards. What are your viewpoints on the matter?
Naked diving solves it all. :D

dlndavid:
Naked diving solves it all. :D

I KNOW NOTHING, NOTHING, about naked diving.

Back
Top Bottom