Weight belt vs. Integrated weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have weight integrated BCD for 11 years & never loose a weight pocket (knock on wood). I make sure that I hear the click when I snap the weight pocket into the slot.

@GreggS are you aware that you do not necessarily need all your weight to be on the weight belt? It causes amongst others:
- bad trim (usually)
- backaches
- problems when dropping weights (rocketing to the surface)

And you only need a few kg (somewhere between 2 and 4 kg is more than enough) to be ditchable, the rest shouldn't be. Let me add though, that you might not want ditchable weight at all (my case).

Yes, I'm fully aware of that. I simply prefer integrated. As I've said, I've used both but I'm more comfortable with the integrated and they just fit my diving style.

I can see how a belt would be more practical and actually preferable in some circumstances. But I don't foresee ever getting into any of those circumstances. I'm recreational only and, at my age, don't plan on getting into technical diving.

As for ditchable, my forward pockets are ditchable, my trim pockets are not. Hopefully, that's one aspect of diving I never have to utilize.

I personally do some scuba diving, but the vast majority of my time in the water is freediving; I'm by no means, an expert on scuba. I recognize that everyone needs to dive a configuration that is convenient, comfortable and safe.

Along those lines, I hope people will remain open minded about elastic rubber belts for scuba. I completely agree that it may be very beneficial to wear some ballast on the scuba unit. However, it would be unfortunate to completely write off all weight belts, due to a bad experience with a nylon belt which was sized incorrectly and was fitted with a damaged (worn out or compromised) buckle.

The typical scuba weight belt (made of nylon belt) has some significant drawbacks which often seem to become evident at the worst possible time.

We have seen many customers who, once they try one of our MAKO weight belts (and experience the comfort, automatic depth compensation, ease of ditching, security of the buckle from accidental opening etc.) suddenly become big fans of placing (at least some of their lead) on a rubber belt.

Dive Safe!

Dano

@GreggS

Interesting story. But.....

Your weighting is such that it compensates for the positive buoyancy of you, and your exposure suit, and perhaps the positive of a near empty Aluminum tank at a safety stop

At 50' then the positive elements should have been negated by pressure. Had you dumped the air in your BCD the you should have been on the sand sorting things out.

The fact that it all went wrong, suggests to me that you had too much weight, lots of air in your jacket to compensate. This would have been exasibated by sudden panic at the loss of your belt making your diaphragm drop and increasing your lung volume...

Just my thoughts....

Depends on the dive, suit thickness, ability, and personal preference. I use both in cold water to compensate for the extra buoyancy of a 7mm+ suit or integrated when working or a rubber belt when spearing. I recommend you get comfortable with both to allow you some diversity in your options while diving and knowing that no matter the situation you will be able to quickly ditch the appropriate weight without panicking and also be able to control your buoyancy and trim more effectively. If you go belt I suggest you go rubber Marseilles style as the nylon tend to be far less reliable.

Coming back to diving after a bit of a break. Still a novice at around 25 dives.
I am very buoyant. Can sit cross legged in the water of our swimming pool.

When I dived last year i did a refresher course and really struggled removing the BCD due to my natural buoyancy. As soon as it came off one shoulder I had problems. Have some dives booked in the Indian Ocean (Oman) in 3 weeks and have just bought a weight belt. Will put half of my 25lbs on the weight belt and the rest in my integrated pockets.

Looking forward to getting my feet wet again!

Use wing with steel backplate , use steel tank ,... ( you have to drop only few kilos in emergency )

put weight belt in center of gravity ( integrated on BCD or wing not works always perfect ! )

you can ask for help some GUE/UTD or similar teacher that will optimize you ( believe me it worth !)

because of very small tips and tricks , which would completely change your feeling under water

They will give you equipment , not buy in advance !

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have integrated weights on my backplate , I have to put them on belt lower .

Last edited:
I use a belt w/ 10# also have weight pockets on the belt of my harness. Some configurations that I dive require no weights at all, other configurations require as much as 30#. I keep a list of configurations and weight requirements for each.

Coming back to diving after a bit of a break. Still a novice at around 25 dives.
I am very buoyant. Can sit cross legged in the water of our swimming pool.

When I dived last year i did a refresher course and really struggled removing the BCD due to my natural buoyancy. As soon as it came off one shoulder I had problems. Have some dives booked in the Indian Ocean (Oman) in 3 weeks and have just bought a weight belt. Will put half of my 25lbs on the weight belt and the rest in my integrated pockets.

Looking forward to getting my feet wet again!

did my dives at the weekend. 2 boat dives down to 22m. Water temp between 30-33deg C. My buoyancy control wasn't the best and I really hoovered in my air. Don't think having a bad chest infection in the 2 weeks up to my dive helped in that. Was also using Apeks RK3 fins for the first time and really found I needed to adapt my finning technique. Not sure If I'll stick with them or go back to my old Caravelles.

Splitting the weight between belt and intergrated did seem to be better except that my belt twisted around on the first dive.

Keep to do a few more dives to sort my act out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom