Weight Integrated BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainmaker,

After reading your post, I still think you should be looking into a weight harness instead of a belt. The harness will do just about the same as your hipbelt does with your backpack.

Look into a back-floatation BC, either a rec-style wing with a tailored harness (better weight distribution) or a Backplate/Wing combo. With the BP/W, look for broad webbing. The broader the webbing, the better the weight distribution.

Both options offer the advantage that the backpack/backplate will be flush with your back, without the "triangle of force" effect that will push the weight of your tank into your lumbar region. You won't need to arch your back when climbing a ladder.

As for suiting up: the best option is sitting down with your scuba set behind you on a bench or the floor of a car boot. Strap in good (see above) and stand up using your leg muscles while clenching your abs.

If you are standing up when putting on gear, have someone lift up the BC so you can put it on an pull all the straps tight before they let go.

G'luck.

Just another thought, what about an aluminum backplate and a weight harness? This would put much of the weight on the shoulders. Although the tank weight would still be there. You could also change tanks if doing local diving to something lighter like some of the new compact steels, actually lighter than AL. I've suffered with lower back pain on and off for years so I'm at least familier with it. Hope things go well and you find some type of solution.

RiverRat:
Just another thought, what about an aluminum backplate and a weight harness? This would put much of the weight on the shoulders. Although the tank weight would still be there. You could also change tanks if doing local diving to something lighter like some of the new compact steels, actually lighter than AL. I've suffered with lower back pain on and off for years so I'm at least familier with it. Hope things go well and you find some type of solution.

Now I'm just speaking for myself and the people I know that suffer from the same condition - extensive damage to discs and vertebrae.

It is a common misconception that it is the weight of the equipment that causes the pain. It is not. It is the wrong distribution of the weight that causes the pain.

The suggestions you're offering will take weight off the scuba set itself. This will mean added weight to the weight belt due to the inherent buoyancy of AL and carbon steel tanks. Believe me when I say that this will hurt like crazy.

It is actually better to dive with steel tanks. This takes a lot of weight off the belt and puts it on the diver's back, where it can be evenly distributed.

It may be counter-intuitive, but it's true nevertheless. Since the introduction of carbon steel tanks, I've literally seen tens of divers buy these tanks and sell them again a few months later because their back pain was aggravated by the added weight on their belts.

rainmaker, I feel your pain. No, wait, really, I really do feel your pain! In my 20's my passion was cycling, esp. loaded touring. Thousands of miles hunched over drop handlebars ruined a disc in my lower back, but the worst part was that the backpain affected all my other recreation activities, including backpacking. You said all backpain is different, which is true, I seem to do better if I can get most of the load distributed between my shoulders and low on my hipbones, the Gregory backpacks have great suspension systems for this with a personalized component fitting system not unlike the Zeagle PFS system for BCs. Comfortable enough that I can still do weekend trips with my son even if the long wilderness treks are history for me. BTW, the expensive ultralight backpacking gear isn't just trendy in my case, its a necessity!

Back to scuba, I've looked at the DUI Weight & Trim system as a weightbelt replacement or supliment but I'm not sure it that will help or not. What I'm really looking for is to move the part of the weight that doesn't really need to be ditchable out of the BCs integrated weight pockets and put it somewhere comfortable on my body. I do more to hurt my back twisting and turning while holding awkward, heavy objects than pretty much anything else.

FatCat:
Now I'm just speaking for myself and the people I know that suffer from the same condition - extensive damage to discs and vertebrae.

It is a common misconception that it is the weight of the equipment that causes the pain. It is not. It is the wrong distribution of the weight that causes the pain.

The suggestions you're offering will take weight off the scuba set itself. This will mean added weight to the weight belt due to the inherent buoyancy of AL and carbon steel tanks. Believe me when I say that this will hurt like crazy.

It is actually better to dive with steel tanks. This takes a lot of weight off the belt and puts it on the diver's back, where it can be evenly distributed.

It may be counter-intuitive, but it's true nevertheless. Since the introduction of carbon steel tanks, I've literally seen tens of divers buy these tanks and sell them again a few months later because their back pain was aggravated by the added weight on their belts.

Hummm, OK, so it sounds like then a steel backplate and steel tank (or travel AL80 with one of those 5# tank boot inserts?) would actually be a better bet? I use a 9# backplate on tropical trips with an AL80 and 3mm shortie. This lets me dive 3# on the belt. I weigh 230# for reference. For cold water diving I have a channel weight for the backplate if I need it (have not used it yet) but the steel tank gives me what I need. Sounds like with this setup if one were to kit up in sitting position and have help to stand or use a front roll entry you could minimize most of the weight. Then getting out of the water dump the BC and hand up.

FatCat:
The difference is that traditional weight belts, especially those with hard weights, are hell for people with damage to the lumbar region (usually damage around L4-L5). The weights press on the pelvis and cause a posture where the back is arched. This puts extreme pressure on the lower spine.
Why would the weights be pressing on the pelvis? Where are the weights placed on the belt? I use hard weights exclusively and pretty much don't know they are there.

I am recently certified also and purchased a Seaquest ProQD+ integrated BC. It has the option of adding non-ditchable weight but for me they made me too top heavy. The weights slip in in their own pocket and clip in. To release them you grab the handles and pull. Take a look at if if you are in the market....I've been very happy with mine.

jbd:
Why would the weights be pressing on the pelvis? Where are the weights placed on the belt? I use hard weights exclusively and pretty much don't know they are there.

jbd, don't take this the wrong way, but you have obviously never had serious back problems.

No matter where you put the weights on the belt, gravity will always pull the belt down. This pushes on the edge of the pelvis. YOU might not notice this, someone with damaged disks will.

It's got nothing much to do with weight placement, although lead shot is admittedly more comfortable than blocks, but it still hurts.

It's all about putting stress on the wrong muscles.

FatCat:
jbd, don't take this the wrong way, but you have obviously never had serious back problems.
Not to the extent you have, although.....PM sent.

FatCat:
No matter where you put the weights on the belt, gravity will always pull the belt down. This pushes on the edge of the pelvis. YOU might not notice this, someone with damaged disks will.
Are we talking about a person being vertical or horizontal or both

FatCat:
It's got nothing much to do with weight placement,.....

It's all about putting stress on the wrong muscles.
In my case, I wear the weights all to the front of my body with the heaviest weights closest to the midline and the lightest just anterior to the iliac crest. Granted I don't do this specifically for back related problems but even with the 30 lb belt it has never caused pain or discomfort. I also tend to wear my belt higher than most people especially once I get in the water. Most people seem to let the belt ride way down on the hips, which is a natural function of gravity while vertical(standing or in preparation to descend), and then never adjust the location of the belt once UW. This provides a mismatch between the COG and the COB.

My personal and professional experience with back injuries and problems is that any stresses on the back must be balanced and one must maintain good postural alignment.

I own a Zeagle Escape BCD that has weight integration. I used integrated weights for about forty dives and didn't particularly care for some of the pitfalls of weight integration. For one, I don't like having to unload the weights after every dive in order to change tanks. It's a pain in the @%^*& to try to change tanks with the weight still in the BC. I also didn't like the bulkiness of the weights up close to my rib area. In general something never really felt right with this BC during my dives.

I finally went back to a weight belt and am much happier with this configuration. I seem to get better stability in the water with the belt due to the postioning of the weights. In addition it's a heck of a lot easier to put on and remove weights now and tank changes are a breeze.

IMHO weight integrated BC's are not everything they are cracked up to be. I realize of course that this is personal preference and everyone should experiment with what works best for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom