Weight threaded onto Cam Bands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For ages I had 2x2lb lead weights on top cam belt right next to the STA. I had them at the top to help with trim a little.
Never had any issues but no longer need any weight after some changes to gear.

XS Scuba makes affordable weight pockets that can be threaded onto tank cambands.
You can thread one weight pocket on the top camband on one side of the tank.
The other weight pocket can be threaded onto the lower camband on the other side of the tank.
If the pockets are snugged up close to the STA and the weights are 2-pounders, it should still feel quite balanced.
At least that's what I do when I travel with my AL BP.

Good luck with it.

When I'm driving to a site, my weights I store under
the passenger seat in case there is a bump in the road

If you have the 2 lb weight where the camband is putting the maximum pressure on the tank, it's going to make the tank more likely to slip. What I've done in the past is to put the 2 lb weight on the band so that it is held by the buckle on one side, and the Velcro on the other. It doesn't seem as though that would be very secure, but I haven't lost one that way.
I have done the same thing, threading a weight onto the end of the camband before the velcro. It's worked quite fine, the weight has never slipped and didn't noticeably throw me off balance.

I used your method quite a bit.
My kitwas as follows. SS BP, 5mm wetsuit, 80 Ally with 2 1kg weights threaded onto the upper camband. I also have a 2nd lower camband so slippage isn't an issue. The set-up gave me a mild head-down position, which was perfect for photography as I never had to worry about my fins.

I dive a Al. BP/W with STA most of the time and I've been trying out new way to weight the rig. I own Halcyon ditchable weight pockets but for the last couple of dives I've just threaded a 2lb weight on each cam band, directly on the top of the tank and tight enough that they don't slide to either side. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't? Has anyone else tried this? any tips?

If it works...then it does. I have also done this in times of needing a few lbs without having a weight belt available.

I use the XS weight pouches just as Bubble described. I also have one on each side of my waist band held tight to my backplate by my waist d-rings. This allows me to move weights around without threading to adjust for any exposure suit I wear. Keith
IMG_1195.jpg

Thanks for the tips I'll try some of the suggestions out next time.

it throws your balance way off. Just buy a SS plate and be done with it... You could also put said weights on the back of your waist strap close to the harness and slide lock them in but it wouldn't be all that comfortable.

That's what I did, but I used the small weight pockets sold by Oxycheq. I have one on each side, on the waist strap and slid up close to the backplate, and they are perfectly comfortable. They have velcro flaps and can hold up to a 5# weight.

for the last couple of dives I've just threaded a 2lb weight on each cam band, directly on the top of the tank and tight enough that they don't slide to either side. Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldn't?

If you are doing this and having no issues there you go! You could look into a SS Plate and/or STA. My Hammerhead plate and STA weigh 12lbs, 6 lbs a piece. There are a bunch of ways to weight a plate including channel weight or making weight plates that can bolt onto the BP. They even make pouches you can fill with sand.

Back
Top Bottom