Weighted STA and 36# Pioneer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds like the same type mentallity that makes an instructor carry 40 lbs of lead so they can keep students from floating away during the navigation skills (i.e. the rodeo ride). That is just plain dangerous as well as having excessive lift. He may treat you well and have good intentions, but it sounds like he dosen't understnad proper weighting. You should not need that much lift.

Atticus once bubbled...
He says that you can probably gasp for breath with a 40-60lb wing, but if you want to be able to comfortable breathe and possibly be able to help another diver who is having a problem you're going to need more lift.

Mike S
since you are not terribly far from Dutch. Ping me if you are planning on going there in the next month or so. If I can make it, I'll come help you get this weight thing sorted out. If you can put off your purchase till then. There is no way you need all the lift that is being discussed here. I dove the Brittannic in double 104's with 4- 80CFT stage bottles and an argon bottle, with scooter/lights and a 55# wing. At most....a 36# NO MORE. I have some 280#er's diving with 36's. Best, Bob

Bob,
So where would the harm be in having a 55# wing vs. a 36# wing? How would 19# of extra lift provide any more 'drag' than 4 stage bottles, a Gavin, etc?

ScoobieDooo once bubbled...
Bob,
So where would the harm be in having a 55# wing vs. a 36# wing? How would 19# of extra lift provide any more 'drag' than 4 stage bottles, a Gavin, etc?

Unless bungied, a 55# wing will hotdog/taco the tank, causing air traping. I know how you stand on bungies, so don't start.

Start what - just asking a question on why a little extra size in the bladder would do such an issue?

I didn't think a deflated bladder/wing had that much additional size to it.

Touchy Soggy...

You gusy simply haven't been able to effectively prove yet that the bungee wing poses ANY reasonable problem(s).

Aaron,
Its only a hotdog situation IF you don't dive a bungee wing...MY 100# OMS wings stays nice and tight, whether its on my single Al80 or twin 98's.

I don't have any wrap problems...hey, maybe Halcyon needs to start making a bungee wing so that THEIR customers don't have to buy TWO sets of wings AND, have that 'hotdog' effect, eh Taat2d?

Sorry if I jumped to conclusions, but you do have a track record. :)

Because I think scientifically and statistically about what is conjecture and what is proven gives me a 'track record?'

When someone makes a statement on a topic is helps to have scientific backing and/or proof on those statements.

just asking a question on why a little extra size in the bladder would do such an issue?

It has to do with the shifting of air. If percentage-wise, there isn't a lot of air in the wing, then every little trim twitch will cause the air to shift rapidly and cause rolling.

For example, if you reach back with your left hand to grab your pressure gauge, and you lean to the right at all, you'll roll onto your side. If you look down to see behind you and you lean forward some the air shifts to the bottom of the wing and will cause you to roll onto your head.

Basically if the wing is too big, it will end up being very sensitive to shifts in trim.

Because I think scientifically and statistically about what is conjecture and what is proven gives me a 'track record?'

All I'm saying is that you've brought up the bungee argument in several threads without prompting. Like I said...you have a track record and I made a false assumption and I apologized for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom