Weirdest things you´ve seen scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the weirder things I've seen was a flock of birds "flying" underwater ... I believe they were a type of grebe ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

On a scallop dive at Bostaquet Bay, Kauwau Island the wife and I came across a pair of eyes sticking up out of the sand behind a large toothy mouth. After describing it to a fiend he identified it as a stargazer. It is really, really ugly, mostly buried in the sand with just the top of it's head and very front of it's body sticking out. Has very tiny eyes and large mouth. Camouflaged very well and almost didn't see it except it's head was near an empty scallop shell. It was about 35-40CM long with a diameter of about 8 CM and appeared to have a round but long sausage shaped body. It did not move but you felt it was watching and not scared of us.

View attachment 180857

Here is what it looks like hiding in the sand: Stargazer lunges from sand - Blairgowrie Marina.m4v - YouTube

Bert
As you may know a Stargazer can produce an electric shock from someplace on the back of their head when handled or stepped on. I've caught many of them and sometimes they will grab a jig and stay buryied in the sand and some people that don't know any better will think they are hung and actually break their line loose because the so tenaciously stay buried. Steady max pressure and it will give up after a time and you can reel it in.
Ive seen many people handle them as any other fish and never seen one shock, me I'm chicken and hold them down with a shoes foot to unhook them and then gently kick them back into the water.
I thought for sure when you said the second one was going to do something it was going to grab your hand.
thanks for the video.

Just yesterday. 6 divers ascending the anchor line in a high surge sandy bottom, 15 ft deep. They were flapping like clothes on a clothes line in the wind.

The weirdest/strangest/funniest/grossest/ugliests/craziest things I've ever seen have all been other divers.

Seriously.

Much as I agree with you, would love if you can develop each and everyone with an example :D

Besides buddies acting strangely?

A fish fighting with itself. My exhaled bubbles created a mirror on the ceiling of the ledge. This White ear damsel fish saw his reflection and tried to drive it out of his territory..

So many mental images, but here's the most recent thing that came across my puter...

Downside? No place to mount GoProbe Camera

Looks like a full-face CPAP mask ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So many mental images, but here's the most recent thing that came across my puter...

Downside? No place to mount GoProbe Camera

It does look like a CPAP mask, from which it seems to have been copied. It's actually something called a "Tribord", a mask/snorkel integrated device with multiple straps and seals designed, according to their sales literature, to allow people to snorkel who are otherwise too frightened the get their face wet or to get any amount of water in their mouth from a standard snorkel.

This device does not acknowledge what seems to be a connection to medical CPAP masks in its on-line ads. The mask's hold on the wearers entire head is effected with several straps, and has the mouth and nose isolated deep within the mask. Any significant movement of the mask, perhaps from an accidental kick, snorkeler panic, or any other cause of mask displacement, might cause immediate flooding, an extremely acute situation for a mask that does not come off instantly.

You mean, OTHER than Dr Bill??? :D

I resemble that!

I shot this off of Key West. It was kind of pulsating, an egg of some sort I guess, but no idea what. I welcome any thoughts.

weird.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom