Weirdest things you´ve seen scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I discovered a bone when diving the "Isles of Shoals". A shipwreck where sailors died and never found. I had archeologists analyse the bone only to find out it was part of the fema leg of a deer. So the story and mystery still exist.
http://youtu.be/W-34Eb34tfo
Smuttynose island maine

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

Explosive mortar made of wood. I believe it is an artifact from the civil war era? Found in Sebago lake Me. It is the only one in the world.! View attachment 181082

That is awesome. I grew up in Cornish, we had a cottage on Sebago. Oriental Powder company was there, near the mouth of the lake. I wonder if that was a dud or an experiment. I can't find much on wooden mortar shells, only wooden tubes. Where did you find it?

Battleship cove. It was sent to naval shipyard in Brunswick me to be diffused. I had it x-rayed at a local hospital and it showed the black powder still lodged. You are the first person to give me insight to a possible source of who made this. Thanks Laurent
http://youtu.be/F_s3e3FAeeE

---------- Post added May 31st, 2014 at 10:52 AM ----------

Wookie. I am moving to Florida this summer. Time to move to warmer climate in the winter. Will be living a snow birders lifestyle. Keep in touch. Would love to work with you seeing you have been living in the keys? I work in the summer at a marina on Frye island eradicating invasive weed "milfoil" during the summer months. Drop me an e-mail divecon@juno.com

I looked over and his AL80 was pointing straight up like a buoy held in place only by the hoses.

I've encountered that twice. One was a young girl I insta-buddied with. I forget how I communicated the issue, but she was cooperative enough to hold still while I got it squared away. IIRC, it was her mom who surfaced with mask lines that looked like she'd have them the rest of her life, and didn't know why. Her strap wasn't too tight. She apparently did the entire dive without equalizing her mask,

The other loose tank was while snorkeling near Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. I saw what was apparently a DM or instructor in front of 2 presumably new divers at about 30'. Maybe that DM will post in the "most surprised" thread about the time he was tooling along and a snorkeler tapped him on the shoulder to point out the problem with the diver behind him.

designed, according to their sales literature, to allow people to snorkel who are otherwise too frightened the get their face wet or to get any amount of water in their mouth from a standard snorkel.

We may have seen different marketing info. Working hard to not be cynical about their claim that "The main obstacle to snorkelling (sic) is the difficulty in breathing underwater with a snorkel", I think they may actually believe they've come up with a great improvement on the traditional mask and snorkel. Of course with the video showing newbies talking about their difficulties they're clearly targeting the new and clueless as a prime marketplace.

In principal some of it sounds good, but there's no way to equalize unless you can do it without pinching your nose. I'm sure that means their target demographic can't equalize in it, but I'm equally sure they won't need to. On the upside, that should mitigate the possible issues with getting it back on, since the people using it are almost certainly going to be right at the surface. And probably wearing a snorkel vest or hanging onto a pool noodle.

I've encountered that twice. One was a young girl I insta-buddied with. I forget how I communicated the issue, but she was cooperative enough to hold still while I got it squared away. IIRC, it was her mom who surfaced with mask lines that looked like she'd have them the rest of her life, and didn't know why. Her strap wasn't too tight. She apparently did the entire dive without equalizing her mask,

The other loose tank was while snorkeling near Eden Rock in Grand Cayman. I saw what was apparently a DM or instructor in front of 2 presumably new divers at about 30'. Maybe that DM will post in the "most surprised" thread about the time he was tooling along and a snorkeler tapped him on the shoulder to point out the problem with the diver behind him.

We may have seen different marketing info. Working hard to not be cynical about their claim that "The main obstacle to snorkelling (sic) is the difficulty in breathing underwater with a snorkel", I think they may actually believe they've come up with a great improvement on the traditional mask and snorkel. Of course with the video showing newbies talking about their difficulties they're clearly targeting the new and clueless as a prime marketplace.

In principal some of it sounds good, but there's no way to equalize unless you can do it without pinching your nose. I'm sure that means their target demographic can't equalize in it, but I'm equally sure they won't need to. On the upside, that should mitigate the possible issues with getting it back on, since the people using it are almost certainly going to be right at the surface. And probably wearing a snorkel vest or hanging onto a pool noodle.

It seems to me, from what I've read and seen, that these masks are designed to be used exclusively while floating on the surface. The snorkel's purpose to permit breathing while face down, and the automatic water block in the snorkel is designed to prevent water from entering when a wave or other situation causes the snorkel to be momentarily submerged.

Equalization should never become an issue because, in appears, the snorkeler is expected never to leave the surface. The mask does not seem to be designed for that kind of use. A very limited definition of snorkeling is probably assumed.

That is awesome. I grew up in Cornish, we had a cottage on Sebago. Oriental Powder company was there, near the mouth of the lake. I wonder if that was a dud or an experiment. I can't find much on wooden mortar shells, only wooden tubes. Where did you find it?

Found at battleship cove sebago lake. There is a boy and girls camp there now.near the dingle islands. I am moving to Stuart Fl this year. In the process of building. Should be finished by September. Would like to catch up with you in the future when I am settled. I will be a snowbirder. Maine in the summer then Florida in the winter. Have been waiting a long time to make the move. I am presently working summers on Frye island marina for the past 10 years eradicating invasive weed milfoil. Never ending battle. E-mail me at divecon@juno.com would enjoy meeting up with you send your operation. I have the divemaster certification. Thank you for the interest and info about a possible connection to the mystery of the civil war mortar I found . Laurent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom