Weirdest things you´ve seen scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's been several weird things I've seen people do. Perhaps the funniest was when I was in a channel leading into a power plant working. It's normally very calm but that day there was a very large swell outside in open ocean. Those swells produced a reasonable current we had to work with. An instructor thought he was going to give skills instuction in this "calm" channel to a half dozen potential new divers. He must have instructed them all to "enter the water by stepping off the ledge, hold on to your BC, keep breathing and I,ll assist you". Each one as they entered the water proceeded to roll down the channel in the current until they had 6 divers and an instuctor and his helper all rolling along together. I have no idea why they were sinking but bodies were summersaulting down this sandy channel.

Perhaps it doesn't sound as funny as it looked but it did look very funny. We helped the instructor get his divers back to safety. They may have wanted to change instructors by that time. Adventure-Ocean

When I was doing my OW dives to get certified, another class and instructor from another agency/shop decided to anchor their float next to us. So naturally when the other instructor grabbed one of his students by his BC and head and started yelling at the student to stop flailing as he forced the students head underwater and kept on yelling at him to calm down and to breath through the reg. We couldn't believe we were seeing another student being forcefully held underwater at the surface and was flailing and trying to escape the instructors grasps. Needless to say others from that class intervened and started yelling at the instructor, and some others swam over to stop the instructor from probably traumatizing the student. At that point our class moved away and started to descend to meet at the bottom. About 10 minutes later a diver swam/crawled frantically on the bottom of the ocean right through our class and the guy literally crawled over me and kept on going... 10 seconds later another diver appeared(I assume the instructor) and was signaling frantically and I pointed towards the direction the other person went...

My dive group came across an illegal fish trap in the sea. Our DM wrecked it and released the fishes from it, but there was a stubborn massive moray that didn't want to budge. He waved around at it and it spat out a fish carcass... which looked like a bit like a chewed up plastic bag :D Moments later it decides to scoot away from the trap into the reef, leaving a trail of dust...

A real mermaid............REAL did you say????.......heck yea, I could reach out & touch it, so it had to be real.......(from off Apo Island, Philippines).........

8193634620_fe09def0d1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So many mental images, but here's the most recent thing that came across my puter...

Downside? No place to mount GoProbe Camera
Its a full face dildo

Didn't have the UW camera with me at the time. I found this on my last trip up to the lake in about 60' of water.
IMG_0082i.jpg

It's the second weapon I've turned over to the ranger, so far. This time we had a friendly discussion over whether my buddy and I should be diving at the lake since we generate too much paperwork.

Bob
-----------------------------------
All my life I've wanted an excuse to wear a knife, and here I have found a sport where it is actually encouraged~ Dave Barry

Last edited:
This is more something I felt than something I saw. I was at about 35 fsw lying flat on the sandy bottom filming something when I felt something on my legs. That something turned out to be an instructor and he led his entire class in a walk on top of my body heading out to the training area. What they were doing walking along the bottom at that depth I'll never know. I never found out who it was or whether they were totally oblivious or playing a joke on me. I kept filming until their dust cloud engulfed my subject.

As far as seeing critters do strange things, if I thought about it I could probably come up with lots of examples from my decades of diving. One that immediately comes to mind was a pair of halfmoon mouth fighting... jaws locked together and shaking one another. Have never seen that before or since and my footage was badly overexposed for some reason but still recognizable. Another was a moray ramming its body into a crevice in the rocky reef. I found a peek hole (crack) I could shine my light through and discovered an octopus holding up a kelp crab between it and the moray. I guess the moray wanted a two course dinner but it eventually gave up.

This is more something I felt than something I saw. I was at about 35 fsw lying flat on the sandy bottom filming something when I felt something on my legs. That something turned out to be an instructor and he led his entire class in a walk on top of my body heading out to the training area. What they were doing walking along the bottom at that depth I'll never know. I never found out who it was or whether they were totally oblivious or playing a joke on me. I kept filming until their dust cloud engulfed my subject.

Oh man, and I thought having one strange/random diver walk/crawl over me was bad... you had an instructor AND his students walk over you while filming!!

I saw a real mermaid. We were finishing up a dive, were at about 40 ft. I looked up and thought at first it was an eagle ray. Then I realized that what I was seeing was a mermaid -- a woman with long flowing hair, and the body of a fish. I thought I was narced. She came down, blew me a kiss, and then returned to the surface.

I saw a real mermaid. We were finishing up a dive, were at about 40 ft. I looked up and thought at first it was an eagle ray. Then I realized that what I was seeing was a mermaid -- a woman with long flowing hair, and the body of a fish. I thought I was narced. She came down, blew me a kiss, and then returned to the surface.

Hopefully she stayed below her smallest bubbles........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom