We're real!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They do look cool, but as DiverPaula mentioned, that is the typical nickname for the "bottom dwellers". It there any way to use this creature and use a more technical name or something :).

I need to borrow those tapes that I had of Great Lakes Indepth. They always had a cool "creature feature" that highlighted different fish that divers might see when wreck diving. I fast forwarded when I watched them as I wanted to see the wrecks. Darn!

diverbrian:
They do look cool, but as DiverPaula mentioned, that is the typical nickname for the "bottom dwellers". It there any way to use this creature and use a more technical name or something :).

I need to borrow those tapes that I had of Great Lakes Indepth. They always had a cool "creature feature" that highlighted different fish that divers might see when wreck diving. I fast forwarded when I watched them as I wanted to see the wrecks. Darn!

Well you know me Brian, just because someone calls you something doesn't mean you are one. :) I guess i can understand peoples hesitation with the bad connotation though.

I have heard them called "Water Dogs" also. I think that is commonly used name for them in some parts. No bad connotation there that i can think of unless your O-ring. :)

I'm not sold on the whole mud puppy/water dog thing...but then again...I'm more interested in large chunks of metal on the bottom of the lake...I can't wait to get the training to get inside those things.

Well this is pretty cool. I just now realized there was a new section. Which works out perfectly since I am building a house in Ohio and always am looking for new dive buddies.

Big-t-2538:
I'm not sold on the whole mud puppy/water dog thing...but then again...I'm more interested in large chunks of metal on the bottom of the lake...I can't wait to get the training to get inside those things.

Big-T, I guarantee you that our "logo" will have some kind of shipwreck connotation to it. After all, that is why most of us dive up here.

The term mascot brings to mind (in my warped mind) some kind of cute creature. (Sort of like SB's old Toucans) I still think, no matter what you people pick, that we should put a hardhat on our mascot.

diverbrian:
Big-T, I guarantee you that our "logo" will have some kind of shipwreck connotation to it. After all, that is why most of us dive up here.

The term mascot brings to mind (in my warped mind) some kind of cute creature. (Sort of like SB's old Toucans) I still think, no matter what you people pick, that we should put a hardhat on our mascot.

Hey nitroxbabe, how we gonna get a hard hat on a Zebra mussel?

I have a few lego construction workers laying around....

then of coure you'd have to make a dive or two to get the pic !

diverbrian:

LOL Brian & T!

I really like the Eber Ward and the like but really find it hard to describe as cute. If cute is the criteria we better ace out, water dog, lawyer (fresh water burbot), sculpin, or most the Great Lakes fishery. LOL!

Seriously, my vote is to find something unique. Eg, the UK Wreck Ferrets is a great name IMO .... if your not worried about being compared to a ferret. :) Or the Kentucky Pirana Patrol .... great name, nasty looking little fish. I really don't care what it is but lets not try to think this thing out too much lest we become too homogenized. That would be bad IMO.

A couple theme ideas i have seen which are nice relate to portholes or hardhats. Perhaps a pic of the Great lakes inside a porthole or reflected in the viewport of a hardhat. Can't go wrong with a wreck theme but these are just some other ideas.

" Great Lakes Porthole Peepers "

gedunk:
LOL Brian & T!

I really like the Eber Ward and the like but really find it hard to describe as cute. If cute is the criteria we better ace out, water dog, lawyer (fresh water burbot), sculpin, or most the Great Lakes fishery. LOL!

You're right. Cute fish in the Great Lakes are rare animals, indeed.

Now that I am done laughing, the Great Lakes through a porthole wouldn't be bad. Who wants to do the artwork, though, LOL?

Also, while not cute, a ship like the Sandusky through a porthole wouldn't be bad either. I am referring to the bowsprit that is supposed to be relatively intact making a neat looking profile.

Again, I am just trying to brainstorm ideas here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom