Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Cheryl! My gear mostly dried out in 24 hours by putting it where the air conditioner was blowing on it. I hung it in the closet and angled the bathroom door to force the air flow on it.

I loved diving with you and Jay. I would do it again any day, and twice on Sundays, provided I don't hit my head on a tank.

Protip #41: I may be weird but I always bring a small fan with me when I travel (noisiest one possible lol). It helps for diving as I can dry virtually anything overnight. :) Last time we just bought one at Mega (La Hurricane!) and took it home. Other benefits are you don't hear much like hallway noise, tanks being delivered, slamming doors etc. :D

We had planned Monday and Tuesday to dry gear and fly on Wednesday. Since it has been raining since Sunday with the forecast the same for tomorrow, I am pretty sure we won't be dry.

The last 2 times we checked in at the Coz united counter, the agent said if your bag contains ONLY scuba gear you are allowed 70 pounds. Has anyone tested this policy? It doesn't mention this on the United site

thanks
Cheryl
Old policy that I think is long gone. It's always very humid in Coz but gear dries pretty well in Air Conditioned rooms.

My real question is, if our bag with 2 sets of gear is 50-60 pounds will they charge overweight? I have read the United policy and is somewhat unclear
I agree that it is unclear, therefor hard to argue. How many bags are you planning to check each? If one bag each with a mix of gear and non-gear, then you wouldn't qualify even if you could get the old policy to still work. Checking one extra bag to keep all bags under 50# would be much cheaper than the $200 overweight charge.

I do hope you took an electronic bag scale. Good luck and let us know. I just don't know of anyone getting this old policy to work in recent years. I'd be thinking seriously about what I can discard, i.e. liquids, batteries, various weighty items not very expensive. And don't let your bags get rained on en route. :D

Last edited:
Check with your airline but if sporting goods are lost/stolen, I believe that you get ZERO from the airline. I travel carry-on ONLY and my regulator/dive computer would be with me even if I did not carry-on. I had my scuba gear stolen one flying to Cancun. Never again.

Copied from the United web site - baggage policy for sports equipment. I don't see the 70 lb limit mentioned there, but I know I have before. Not sure if it was with United or another airline, but several years ago they did paw through my dive bag to make sure there was no other stuff in there.

Looks like the 70 lb limit is based on mileage status, not baggage type.

ejarypag.jpg

FYI, We are at the airport and the United agent confirmed when you are leaving Mexico you are allowed up to 70 pounds of dive gear ONLY in one bag and 55 pounds in regular. Our bags are checked to LAX. We have been coming here fo 30 years and the first I knew of it. Obviously, no help for weight when you are leaving US, but gives you wiggle room for wet gear.

FYI, We are at the airport and the United agent confirmed when you are leaving Mexico you are allowed up to 70 pounds of dive gear ONLY in one bag and 55 pounds in regular. Our bags are checked to LAX. We have been coming here fo 30 years and the first I knew of it. Obviously, no help for weight when you are leaving US, but gives you wiggle room for wet gear.

Now if the other airlines would do this! We flew Delta and one bag had 52 pounds
and one 47, so they let us through. By the way, I saw a guy wearing his BC going
through immigration last week!

Frank

How nice. Good to actually ask (I really never tried), then hope you get the same answer when you try it. :D That second bag is limited to 50#, not 55# isn't it? Just clarifying.

The printed rules are so unclear, it's hard to depend on them - but the same rules should apply to or from Mexico and elsewhere.

. By the way, I saw a guy wearing his BC going
through immigration last week!
Tempting...!!

I make sure my bag weighs in at around 47 pounds when I leave home, that way I have some wiggle room if the gear is not 100% dry.

Loved diving with you also. Hope your head is better. We'll be back for a month in Oct/Nov. Good to know I don't have to worry about overweight dive bag!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom