Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Loved diving with you also. Hope your head is better. We'll be back for a month in Oct/Nov. Good to know I don't have to worry about overweight dive bag!
Do tell us how that goes, please - still.

Loved diving with you also. Hope your head is better. We'll be back for a month in Oct/Nov. Good to know I don't have to worry about overweight dive bag!

What are your dates and where are you staying/diving?

Frank

Feeling okay, but the cut is healing slow and will likely leave a scar. I think I will add a post to Accidents and Incidents when I have the time. I never really thought much about that danger and there are several lessons I learned that will prevent that from happening to me again. I also still need to post my comparison of Aldora and 3P, particularly the steel tanks vs. regular (glad the guy that hit me was not wearing a steel tank on his back roll!).

I may try to bring the whole family back around October 18 - 21, so maybe I'll see you again. I know who I'm diving with next time.

We had planned Monday and Tuesday to dry gear and fly on Wednesday. Since it has been raining since Sunday with the forecast the same for tomorrow, I am pretty sure we won't be dry.

The last 2 times we checked in at the Coz united counter, the agent said if your bag contains ONLY scuba gear you are allowed 70 pounds. Has anyone tested this policy? It doesn't mention this on the United site

thanks
Cheryl

From the United website. Look under HOME>>>TRAVEL INFORMATION>>>BAGGAGE INFORMATION>>>SPORTS EQUIPMENT then click the Scuba Gear tab.
We always check a 70lb bag of ONLY dive gear when we fly to the Carib on United. Never had a problem.
United accepts one dive bag containing equipment used in the scuba-diving sport as checked baggage. Scuba equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.
Dive bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate dive equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.
Dive bags measuring greater than 62 linear inches (158 cm) that contain other items in addition to or in place of dive equipment will be subject to the applicable oversize charge.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.
An empty dive tank or up to three rebreather tanks will not be included in determining the baggage allowance and will be subject to a service charge of $100 (each way) for travel between the U.S., Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. A service charge of $200 (each way) applies for all other travel. The empty dive/rebreather tank must have the regulator valve completely disconnected from the tank. The tank must not be sealed (i.e., the tank has an open end). The tank must have an opening to allow for a visual inspection by a TSA Security Screener.

Last edited:
We know, CB. We read it earlier here. It's just not clear. It should work both ways, but it's not clear enough to argue with an agent.

I want to hear that story. I wait for the skipper to tell me it's clear before rolling.

We know, CB. We read it earlier here. It's just not clear. It should work both ways, but it's not clear enough to argue with an agent.
It's very vague. For instance, it's not clear that there is any weight limit on a scuba-only bag as long as it fits the linear dimensions. But I can't believe they would take one over 70 lbs without a very hefty surcharge. And what constitutes "appropriate dive equipment"? I met an old-timer diver in Bonaire who always dove in his jeans - for him, they were appropriate "exposure protection".

What galls me is that there are pros paid to draft such ambiguous language even though it can only result in arguments with airline personnel and ultimately, should the customer be deemed wrong, result in sore feelings at a minimum. Since the language is so easy to draft unambiguously, one wonders if the airlines enjoy creating disharmony.

I want to hear that story. I wait for the skipper to tell me it's clear before rolling.

True enough. I wasn't defend it's lack of clarity, just pointing out where it could be found. Maybe the bold/red was a bad choice (fixed). I'm getting older and have bad eyes, LOL.

I guess I just don't understand the issue. We have always packed a 70lb suitcase full of dive gear and have never even been questioned. Once we tell them it's dive gear, they just say "OK" and slap a baggage sticker on it and throw it on the conveyor belt. Never had a problem.

Now claiming "Blue Jeans" as standard dive gear...I can see where that might raise some eyebrows.

.... Since the language is so easy to draft unambiguously, one wonders if the airlines enjoy creating disharmony.
We all know that this kind of BS is not written by the airlines, it's written by Lawyers :confused4:

I guess I just don't understand the issue. We have always packed a 70lb suitcase full of dive gear and have never even been questioned. Once we tell them it's dive gear, they just say "OK" and slap a baggage sticker on it and throw it on the conveyor belt. Never had a problem.
With Continental before the merger, United since? I'd heard of the old allowance but didn't know anyone was still getting away with it. :idk:

And the $200/bag fee for losing the debate at the airport would be severe enough for me to start giving things away. :eek: I'm at particular risk since I always fly a pony bottle and they could call that a scuba tank under their vague quote and hit me for $100 on it. The airlines have no authority to open bags and inspect contents tho; only TSA can do that legally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom