Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We all know that this kind of BS is not written by the airlines, it's written by Lawyers :confused4:
Not necessarily. A decent lawyer could easily write up a far less ambiguous policy if the airlines wanted him to. And the airlines should be able to afford a decent lawyer.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2014 at 08:55 AM ----------

The airlines have no authority to open bags and inspect contents tho; only TSA can do that legally.
Are you sure that's the case flying out of Mexico?

Just got off the phone with United (30 minutes), and explained the issue. She kept referring to the web site that said 50 and I told her what we were told in Cozumel (70 pounds). I finally got her to check with a supervisor and she confirmed:

DIVE BAGS CONTAINING ONLY SCUBA GEAR CAN WEIGH UP TO 70 POUNDS LEAVING USA AND RETURNING. I suggested they clarify this on their web site.

This is United's policy, I don't know about other airlines

I've never heard of a rule like that on Delta. On Delta I've gotten dinged for a bag containing only dive gear exceeding the 50-lb maximum allowance. Delta doesn't seem to give dive gear any special consideration.

I've never heard of a rule like that on Delta. On Delta I've gotten dinged for a bag containing only dive gear exceeding the 50-lb maximum allowance. Delta doesn't seem to give dive gear any special consideration.
I've only heard about it with Continental, apparently kept after the merger with United - but it's always seemed so vague that I didn't think it worked. These are the first first-hand reports I've seen, and I am always looking. I like to take so much more than others. If I can pack one bag with clothes and my pony to 50#, and the other with all scuba gear to 70#, plus my roll-on and my computer backpack - that's 20# more!

I've flown American the last two times tho, for cheapest fares. My choices keep getting worse. Untied will fly me LBB-CZM for less than $500, but overnighting me in Houston both ways! Avoiding overnight stops, I get American at $664. :sad:

Not necessarily. A decent lawyer could easily write up a far less ambiguous policy if the airlines wanted him to. And the airlines should be able to afford a decent lawyer.
Oh, airlines (especially UA) can and do pay a lot for lawyers all the time. They (UA) has a very large staff of them. I'll be happy to wager this was reviewed/approved by a lawyer prior to ever going on the web site.

HERE IS THE UNITED RESPONSE IN WRITING

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

Allow me to give you the link to united.com where it talks about scuba bags as checked baggage.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?camp=virtual_expert#ScubaEquipment
Scroll down and click on scuba equipment.

Basically, it states that there is no weight limit as long as the bag contains "only" scuba equipment. If anything else as added to the bag then the maximum weight limit is 50 lbs.

Dive tanks or rebreather tanks have a separate charge and is noted in the website information.

Be sure to look at that link. There is a lot of additional information you will probably want to know.

Not long ago United changed its baggage policy to Mexico. The first checked bag is now $25 and a second bag is $40. The scuba bag would be your first or second bag, etc. Any tanks are charged a flat fee as noted on united.com.

You can be assured that this is the correct information.
Please know that we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard a future United Flight

Regards,

Steven Henry
United Airlines

Having practiced law for over 32 years now, I'm very sad to inform you that "decent" lawyers are far rarer than you assume to be the case. And no business intentionally adopts an ambiguous policy if there is any chance at all that the policy will become an issue in litigation; the ambiguity is ALWAYS construed against the big company. But sloppy drafting runs rampant through the legal industry, and hiring a high-priced white-shoes New York City law firm is no guaranty. I've seen too many cases, and I've been hired in too many cases to fix the ****-ups, to think otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
HERE IS THE UNITED RESPONSE IN WRITING

Dear Mr. Jones:

Thank you for contacting United Airlines.

Allow me to give you the link to united.com where it talks about scuba bags as checked baggage.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx?camp=virtual_expert#ScubaEquipment
Scroll down and click on scuba equipment.

Basically, it states that there is no weight limit as long as the bag contains "only" scuba equipment. If anything else as added to the bag then the maximum weight limit is 50 lbs.

Dive tanks or rebreather tanks have a separate charge and is noted in the website information.

Be sure to look at that link. There is a lot of additional information you will probably want to know.

Not long ago United changed its baggage policy to Mexico. The first checked bag is now $25 and a second bag is $40. The scuba bag would be your first or second bag, etc. Any tanks are charged a flat fee as noted on united.com.

You can be assured that this is the correct information.
Please know that we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you onboard a future United Flight

Regards,

Steven Henry
United Airlines
Are you selling notarized copies of that letter...??

If I need a lawyer, I want a Texan. They invented that "SOB needed killin'" defense!
We had a local corporate farmer who flew low over someone else's land and the farmer on the ground fired at him. He got busted, bailed, and sent to trial. Couldn't find a local jury. One potential wanted to pay for target practice.

I think that was the same flying farmer who ran out of gas on the way back from an outing, landed on a paved road, and hiked to a farm house to borrow a few gallons.

With Continental before the merger, United since? I'd heard of the old allowance but didn't know anyone was still getting away with it. :idk:

And the $200/bag fee for losing the debate at the airport would be severe enough for me to start giving things away. :eek: I'm at particular risk since I always fly a pony bottle and they could call that a scuba tank under their vague quote and hit me for $100 on it. The airlines have no authority to open bags and inspect contents tho; only TSA can do that legally.

Yes sir, I've flown this way on both Continental and now United. I also tote a small 13# pony bottle with me. Honestly I can't keep up with the airline regs regarding whether it has to be in carry-on or checked, but I've never had a problem either way. From the sounds of things I guess I've just been lucky.

Back
Top Bottom