Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've often heard about this mysterious policy over the years, never referring to any specific airline. I can tell you my first hand experience has always been leaving the US I've been stuck with the #50 limit. Coming home, I've often been overweight, never more than 10 or 12lbs, but over. Every time (different countries, different airlines) I've been asked, or I've told them it's scuba gear and the bag was tagged and loaded. I stopped worrying about it years ago.... :idk:

With my July Coz trip history, I will be updating the Arrival and Departure Sticky soon, however, just want to mention that the United departure rep told me that the max weight for leaving from Mexico is 55 pounds. One of our checked bags was 53 pound and all she did was add a "heavy" tag. Regardless, I would still recommend trying to not to exceed the 50 pound weight limit as the rules can and do change often.

Please check post 36. This is United"s written response, which I printed and will carry with me. We have been going to Cozumel since 79 and the last 3 times the United rep in Cozumel told me about the 70 lb limit for SCUBA ONLY and 55 lbs for all other bags. I never wanted to test it, but decided to check with United and confirmed it. I BELIEVE THIS IS ONLY UNITED.

So this is interesting and exciting for me. We're going to Bonaire in October on SkyWest/United Express. Does this policy apply to their partners as well?

According to the SkyWest web site, their baggage policies are set by whichever company they're partnered with for that particular flight. In this case, United. So the SCUBA policy would be in force. :)

It's an old Continental policy I think. I was surprised that it still worked, but then - it's so poorly worded, the agent can do whatever s/he chooses - and the penalty would be painful.

I don't know about SCUBA bags, but my parents both had their golf bags searched this weekend. So airlines are getting a lot pickier about what is allowed in those bags, and I would imagine that would go with scuba bags with stuff hidden in the bottom as well.

A little off subject but you want to avoid putting wet gear in your checked baggage as that part of the plane is not heated so ice can form in a tight area and cause damage.

A little off subject but you want to avoid putting wet gear in your checked baggage as that part of the plane is not heated so ice can form in a tight area and cause damage.

I have heard this before and applied my Google-Fu to the question. According to every resource I could find, the baggage compartment is both pressurized and heated. Although it may be cooler than the passenger compartment, the lowest temp I could find quoted (by an Airbus pilot) was 44F, though mid-60's would appear to be more common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom