Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have heard this before and applied my Google-Fu to the question. According to every resource I could find, the baggage compartment is both pressurized and heated. Although it may be cooler than the passenger compartment, the lowest temp I could find quoted (by an Airbus pilot) was 44F, though mid-60's would appear to be more common.

Your Google-Fu is strong....

KungFuMasterPo2.jpg

I have heard this before and applied my Google-Fu to the question. According to every resource I could find, the baggage compartment is both pressurized and heated. Although it may be cooler than the passenger compartment, the lowest temp I could find quoted (by an Airbus pilot) was 44F, though mid-60's would appear to be more common.
Besides, if ice could harm dive gear, wouldn't PADI have liability concerns for offering an ice diver specialty?

(Not to mention that animals are commonly stowed in baggage compartments without icing up too much and plenty of people put liquids in their bags since they can't bring them as carry-ons)

Excess Baggage Embargo Policy | United Airlines
Certain times of the year. Certain destinations. Up to 99.9 lbs
(This used to state up to 70 lbs. but now it says up to 99.9 lbs.)
I have used this many times going to and from Cozumel. Ticket agents in Houston don't run into scuba gear as often as Cozumel's agents. In Houston, most ticket agents have to ask a supervisor if it's correct. You may get a hassle in the states but not in Cozumel. They stick a "heavy" sticker on it and let it fly.

Please check post 36. This is United"s written response, which I printed and will carry with me. We have been going to Cozumel since 79 and the last 3 times the United rep in Cozumel told me about the 70 lb limit for SCUBA ONLY and 55 lbs for all other bags. I never wanted to test it, but decided to check with United and confirmed it. I BELIEVE THIS IS ONLY UNITED.

Thanks so much for the legwork on this. This will make me consider United more heavily when traveling to COZ. I just returned on USAir and was routed through Charlotte on the way to Phoenix :-(

I realize this thread has been dead a few months but I'll chime in on my last experience dealing with United employees behind the desk at Houston Intercontinental Airport. Our dive box weighed 57 lbs and I had to argue with them for about 20 minutes so I wouldn't have to pay the $200+ overweight baggage charge. I even had the policy from their website with me as I always do. Before it was over with there were 2 security guards behind me. Mind you we have been diving almost 10 years and have never had a problem with a dive box being over the 50 lbs limit but we did that trip. I went thru 4 of their people before finally someone just said let him thru because I caused such a scene. Each person would ask if it was skiing gear and I would say no and they would say if it was skiing gear it wouldn't be an overweight luggage charge. When we flew out of Bonaire to come home the dive box was a little over weight again but they didn't say a word just slapped a heavy tag on it and away it went. Once I got home I looked up the skiing gear page on United's website and the paragraph pertaining to the weight of the gear is the exact same paragraph that is on the scuba equipment page. We are leaving for Cozumel in a week and this time I said screw them. We'll have 2 dive boxes instead of one taking up twice the room and they will be 49 lbs each when it gets on the plane. So if they ever tell you that it'll be an overweight charge for a bag that has nothing but dive gear just argue with them long enough and they'll let you thru but it is a pain.

Here's a link to the sports equipment page for United: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/co...ports.aspx?camp=virtual_expert#ScubaEquipment

If they lose the dive gear containers don't expect any compensation from the airline.

How do you get that much weight?

Are you packing your regulator system in that container? Just wait until it is lost. That should be in your carry-on.

I travel with carry-on only (no BC) and that includes non-BC scuba stuff, clothing, toiletries, and sometimes a small computer (netbook size).

If they lose the dive gear containers don't expect any compensation from the airline.

How do you get that much weight?

Are you packing your regulator system in that container? Just wait until it is lost. That should be in your carry-on.

I travel with carry-on only (no BC) and that includes non-BC scuba stuff, clothing, toiletries, and sometimes a small computer (netbook size).
Good for you. Some of us take what we want, and we want to take more. I'm way over him.

If your traveling on the budget airlines in Asia for example Air Asia and they see you have dive gear they charge you for sports equipment even if you already purchased normal luggage. Normally I always do this and never let them see my luggage but the manager saw and enforced it at check-in when they saw me re-arranging my bag and said my purchased luggage was non-refundable and will have to purchase their sports equipment package; this was when I was traveling through Singapore. I always check the luggage rules and check to see what an extra bag costs as it can be cheaper than their overweight charges, and not all the check-in attendants will tell you this and hit you for the per pound or kilo charge instead of saying it's cheaper to buy another bag.

The reason our single dive box was a little over weight was because my wife and I had our dive gear in one box. We use pelican boxes and they are close to 20 lbs on their own. Plus I dive a backplate. Yes our regs are in our carry on. So for the weight police with a 20lb box plus 7+ lbs for just my bp/wing that's right at 30 lbs. So the other 24lbs was the rest of our dive gear. We take everything but tanks and weight on our trips. Might as well use the gear since we bought it. That big yellow dive box has been all over the place and they haven't lost it yet.

Back
Top Bottom