Wet gear and overweight charges

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver GT, on the trip that you discussed above, exactly what did you submit for checked luggage. For each piece provide weight and size.

20 pelican boxes! The first thing I weigh are my empty bags, rejecting the heaviest. I have two I used a lot when my max was 70#. I wouldn't try the United scuba allowance because of the problems I'd expect, like GT had. I do take everything I want, including a 19 cf pony and 3 regs - 1 or 2 of which go in my roll-on going, but I try to pack them in checked bags returning. Portable digital scales are essential.

20 pelican boxes! The first thing I weigh are my empty bags, rejecting the heaviest. I have two I used a lot when my max was 70#. I wouldn't try the United scuba allowance because of the problems I'd expect, like GT had. I do take everything I want, including a 19 cf pony and 3 regs - 1 or 2 of which go in my roll-on going, but I try to pack them in checked bags returning. Portable digital scales are essential.
As essential as the third regulator? OK...

As essential as the third regulator? OK...
One for back gas, one for pony, and a spare - all mine that I know.

One for back gas, one for pony, and a spare - all mine that I know.
Plenty of spare regs available on Cozumel to rent, so far as I know. Do you also carry a spare BC and fins? If not, you really should. They're essential :)

I carry a spare seatbelt buckle on all flights just in case the one in my seat is broken.

I carry a spare seatbelt buckle on all flights just in case the one in my seat is broken.
That's totally inadequate. I've had a broken seat on enough flights that I bought a used plane seat on eBay and carry that aboard on all my flights just in case. When they try to tell me it exceeds the carry-on limits, I tell them it's just an over-sized infant seat for a big baby.

We will be on United to travel to Cabo for the RDM live aboard! Frontier just cancelled our tickets with a promise to reschedule them to go 2 days earlier and come home 3 days later. Of course, they would not pay for hotel or put us on another airline. Sigh! We had used FF miles that we scrimped and saved for and now we had to fork over some big bucks to book on another airline. Thanks FRONTIER!

This is good info. to know. We flew United out of Cozumel in June and our gear was sopping wet even though we had it under the air conditioner. They threw our bags up onto the scale and didn't even look at the weight???
One was overweight but no one batted an eye! It was sooooooooo humid in June! It even melted sea sick pills I had in a ziplock inside my luggage! They are now just crumbs of pills!!!

Well, we will test this when we leave for Cozumel on 10/27. I am taking the United letter just in case. When do you go on RDM? You will love it!!!!!

Early November for whale shark season!!!!! Tell Cheryl I said happy happy happy happy birthday!!!!!!! Have a great time in Coz. I need to print out the letter too!
Well, we will test this when we leave for Cozumel on 10/27. I am taking the United letter just in case. When do you go on RDM? You will love it!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom