wet suit help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamm32546

Reaction score
hi guys im new to diving and have a stupid question as far as wet suits go. Do you wear anything under a wet suit? i know that they fit tight (well pretty tight) would you wear a shirt and like trunks under them or what? I know dumb question.

The only thing you need under a wetsuit is a swimsuit. Don't wear baggy shorts or a shirt because they may allow too much water to get inside the suit and thus take some of the insulation properties away.

adamm32546:
hi guys im new to diving and have a stupid question as far as wet suits go. Do you wear anything under a wet suit? i know that they fit tight (well pretty tight) would you wear a shirt and like trunks under them or what? I know dumb question.

A wet suit should fit pretty snugly, but a bathing suit under them is fine (and expected!). A t-shirt wouldn't hurt the exposure protection, and I've seen people wear them that want to stay covered up while on a boat while having to put on the wet suit in front of others. It's up to you as far as whether or not you wear a shirt. The only disadvantage I can think of is having one more wet article to take off when you surface and are cold (if you're diving in colder waters).

I just wear a swim suit under my 6.5 farmer jon. Some people wear a lyca skin since it doesn't hold as much water and you won't be as wet when you remove it after the dive. Therefore, you should be as cold when you get the wetsuit off.

I tend to like Speedos for under my wetsuit, even if I don't look so great in them between taking off my shorts and putting on the wetsuit. There are some lycra body suits which help add some insulation for colder water. I think this is an easy alternative for those of us who don't want to buy a thicker wetsuit or a dry suit for slightly colder waters.

If I'm changing in the open, I wear spandex bicycle shorts. I don't like how regular swim trunks bunch up.

Swimwear of any kind is fine.

No good can come from a T shirt. It will be a zero for thermal protection and will promote the migration of body heat.

Pete

thread,

Trunks are fine under wetsuit. Some people like to wear a rash vest under their wetsuit.
I know a guy that does'nt wear a stitch under his wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom