Wetsuit fraying from velcro, need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexrey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought my first wetsuit about 8 months ago. Before that I had been using my Dad's old suit from the 1970-1980's.
I thought I had made a good buy, but a little while later I noticed something that really made me angry: the suit started to fray! This was because all the straps were made from velcro and the wetsuit's surface was really sensitive to contact. So now I have a suit that is fraying around the groin and along the shoulder (it's a two-piece farmer john). And the "dick-strap" is completely torn around the edges.

Sure, I should have noticed the velcro before buying the suit, but the old suits that I had used before where all made of a very strong outer layer, and this being my first wetsuit, I thought that it would be the same.

So I have two questions:

1) Why the hell do some manufacturers use velcro instead of buttons?! Are they trying to cut costs. Surely they know that any contact with the velcro will fray the suit?

2) Do you think I'd be able to send my suit back because it was unsatisfactory, and get it fitted with buttons and repaired by the manufacturer?

It just really ticks me off that something like this can be overlooked by the manufacturer so easily. Hope you can help guys, cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom