Wetsuit Seams Rust Color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drift6761

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The Seams on my Wetsuit have flaked the black sealant off, and they are an ominous looking rust color. Should I be concerned? What can I do to repair this? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, drift6761

is the suit wet?

Aquaseal might be your friend... potentially uncomfortable on the inside, and definitely ugly on the outside, but it'll do the job...

Aqauseal will ruin your suit! It has very low flexibility relative to neoprene and will cause tears, localize strain and reduce the flexibility of the suit a lot if you put it on large areas. It is OK for patching small punctures, addressing abrasion of a boot by your big to or your fin heel strap or a dab here or there on some gloves or on your knee, but you don't want to cover a seam with it or make large repairs or patches. Normal wetsuit glue is generally better for any repairs.

If a considerable portion of the seam of a wetsuit is degrading and leaking.. then the suit is not going to be warm and is probably reaching the end of it's useful life. Might work great for the summer if you dive in warm water.. lets the piss out.

I probably wouldn't try messing with it too much.

Aqauseal will ruin your suit! It has very low flexibility relative to neoprene and will cause tears, localize strain and reduce the flexibility of the suit a lot if you put it on large areas. It is OK for patching small punctures, addressing abrasion of a boot by your big to or your fin heel strap or a dab here or there on some gloves or on your knee, but you don't want to cover a seam with it or make large repairs or patches. Normal wetsuit glue is generally better for any repairs.

If a considerable portion of the seam of a wetsuit is degrading and leaking.. then the suit is not going to be warm and is probably reaching the end of it's useful life. Might work great for the summer if you dive in warm water.. lets the piss out.

I probably wouldn't try messing with it too much.
Thanks DumpsterDiver, maybe its time to buy a new suit. Appreciate the response

Drift6761

Back
Top Bottom