wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

auberg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading to Oahu in about a week, and the space in my suitcase is getting very low. I'm wondering at this time of the year, what are the water temps like? Do I need a 3mm wetsuit? I'll make everything fit if I do, but I would rather have a little extra space if not.

Thanks

Frank

auberg:
I'm heading to Oahu in about a week, and the space in my suitcase is getting very low. I'm wondering at this time of the year, what are the water temps like? Do I need a 3mm wetsuit? I'll make everything fit if I do, but I would rather have a little extra space if not.

Thanks

Frank

Yes! You need a wetsuit. Water is not tropical here. I think it is about 76 F at the moment. At least three mil, I use a vest in addition. You could rent one.... Oh go ahead, pack some exta bags, you're making me look bad. Whats up with all this light packing?

I am ok in a 3 mil suit, I am better in a 5 mil :)

And I ain't boney :wink:

Thanks guys. I'll leave the wetsuit in the bag. I'm not boney either. (not by a stretch.)

I've never been to Hawaii before and I'm new to diving, so I wanted to make sure I had everything I needed.

Yeah, all depends on you and what you are used to. As stated above the water temps are in high 70's. We have people that layer their suits, I wear a 3 mil and I have seen others not wear a suit at all. I'm talking about wet suit....they do have a bathing suit on. Didn't want to get your hopes up there :wink:.

The more "natural insulation" people seem to have, the less suit they wear. Better to have your own suit and not need it than vice versa :wink:

high 70's?? GEEZ!! lately we have been about 82, even at depth. Perhaps the next group get-together should be in Kona. (hint hint)

i was getting chilly after a week of diving in a 3mm, not bad, but if you're going to be doing a lot of diving, you might want a 5mm

Maui's been consistently at 81* for shore diving lately. Though with all the stormy weather this week it may have dropped a bit ... I'll find out tomorrow.

I'm barely comfortable in a 3mil full for 90 minute dives, and wouldn't mind a 5mil (and I have plenty of natural insulation ... I'm what you'd call a "well rounded individual" lol)

Aloha, Tim

Back
Top Bottom